|
|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

What are the possibilities to build variable-structure systems?

Dirk Zimmer has nicely shown the problems of MODELICA to handle variable-structure systems:

Equation-based Modeling of Variable-Structure Systems

Coming from the social sciences where generating new entities at runtime is very often done in Agent-based modeling (ABM) I wonder how this can be handled in System Modeler which is rather aimed at the physical-engineering end of modeling? Also there seems to be some ease in modeling Agent-based Models to be gained from applying UML to model the agents as is shown in a comparison between AnyLogic and MODELICA:

Modeling Structural-Dynamics Systems in MODELICA/Dymola, MODELICA/Mosilab and AnyLogic

To what extent is it possible to do Agent-based modeling with variable structure in WSM (eg. New entities can be generated during the simularion while other entities disappear)? Can arrays be dynamic? Do you have experience with AnyLogic and if so, how would you compare WSM to it? -- With regard to ODE-based modeling in economical/social system's modeling (System Dynamics) the physical system's approach with DAE does not fare too well; I wonder whether variable structre system's modeling and UML make for more reasons that WSM may not after all be the tool of choice in these domains?

4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Guido, SystemModeler has the same "limitations" as you'll see in section 4.4 of Dirk Zimmer's dissertation. One thing to note is that the interface to Mathematica makes it easy to "script" a large number of simulations with different actors etc using the commands WSMSimulate, WSMCreateModel, WSMConnectComponents, WSMParameterValues and WSMSetValues.

POSTED BY: Johan Rhodin

Since I have not received any reply here it seems that either nobody is able to answer my question or nobody is interested. In comparing AnyLogic with WSM I have formed a hunch that the former will very likely be the better tool of choice when agent-based modeling in the sense of variable structure modeling is of importance.

One might probably come to the somewhat simplified solution that if managerial problems of system control (after all: what is management about?) are of interest a modeler might rather turn to AnyLogic than to WSM. The sterotypcial engineering problem on the other hand seems nicely addressed by Modelica.

Specific questions tend to do better than open-ended ones. As for Agent-Bases Modeling possibilities in Mathematica, you might want to check work by Charles Macal and coauthors, e.g. this link or this one.

Another reference: Gaylord, R.J., L.J. L'Andria Simulating Society: A Mathematica Toolkit for Modeling Socioeconomic Behavior Springer-Verlag (TELOS), New York, 1998.

Also there is this

Quite a lot more shows up in a web search using: Mathematica " Agent-based Modeling"

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Thank you, Daniel, for the feedback and the links. I have already been aware of the works of Charles Macal and the little book by Gaylord is nicely sitting on a shelf nearby.

My question is not as open-ended as it may seem: I did very precisely ask about the ability of Wolfram System Modeler to address agent-based models, e.g. where structure is created during run time and also terminated again. Also there is the ability to address multi-paradigm modeling (ABM, System Dynamics and Discrete Event Simulation) like AnyLogic further down the line of my question.

I am aware of the potential of Mathematica to address ABM especially when linked to other software like REPAST. But that is the point: Writing equations for larger models -- especially with structure that is repeatedly used -- is imho not really an option, so one needs some kind of declarative programming tool where graphical building blocks can be used (and reused).

So far it seems that modeling variable structure systems is not possible with WSM?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract