Message Boards Message Boards

Stranded on Mars: Exploring Travel on Mars in The Martian

I'm a big fan of the book, "The Martian" and am very much looking forward to the movie, due in theaters on Oct. 2nd. I focused my pent-up excitement into exploring aspects of the story via the Wolfram Language. Using Mathematica 10.2, GeoGraphics supports high-resolution tiles so you can explore Mars. Here is a blog entry I wrote showing some of the exploration I did.

Stranded on Mars: Exploring Travel on Mars in The Martian

Hopefully, the movie keeps as much of the science and detail in the book as possible. In case you don't know about the book/movie, here is a link to the movie trailer:

The Martian movie trailer

POSTED BY: Jeffrey Bryant

I listened to an Audible.com version of the book last year and was thoroughly enthralled. Author Andy Weir did a marvelous job of researching the relevant science.

The movie exceeded my expectations. IMHO, the movie makers did a masterful job of compressing Andy's novel into two hours without seriously compromising the fundamental elements of the story.

My wife's book club plans to discuss "The Martian" a few months from now, at which time I'll send them a link to your blog entry, Jeff.

POSTED BY: Rand Baldwin
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract