|
6 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Voice used in `Speak`

Does anyone know what voice is used by Mathematica for functions like Speak? Is something like espeak under the hood? I'm interested in changing the voice, but I don't know where to start.

POSTED BY: BoB LeSuer
6 Replies

I haven't explored this option yet, however at Stackexchange a user is trying to do the same thing on a Mac, and I suspect that solution with espeak, even the one shipped with RPi/Wolfram, is a workable one.

It turns out that the RPi version of Mathematica ships with espeak, which I found in /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/10.0/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/Binaries/Linux-ARM

Speak["I can speak"] works like a charm on the RPi, so Mathematica is aware of the TTS functionality. There are [a bunch of options](http://elinux.org/RPi_Text_to_Speech_(Speech_Synthesis)) for TTS on the RPi, but it looks like all of them require that I have intentionally installed something (which I have not). If I run mathematica from a console window, I notice that Speak does throw a lot of ALSA warnings, but nothing that stops the command from executing properly.

Thanks Sean, I'm aware that the string is sent to the speech engine of the OS, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows what that speech engine is on the Raspberry Pi.

I doubt there is one. It would require that the Os has a text to speech function and that Mathematica was aware of it. What functionality like that does raspberry pi's os have?

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

From the documentation:

The text string that is sent to the speech engine on your computer system is given by SpokenString[expr,Options[Speak],"PostProcess"->False].

Mathematica doesn't actually produce the speech. Instead it is sent to the "speech engine" on your computer. That is whatever your OS does to produce speech for accessibility purposes.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract