|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

List of data sources ?

Posted 9 years ago

Hello,

I am trying to use WolframAlpha.com to pull socio-economics data from around the world to compare them. I get confusing answers from the website, which probably means that it does not have access to the data. So I would like to know whether there is a list of data sources that it uses worldwide that I can consult before trying my query ?

For instance, "homicide Phoenix Arizona" works but not "homicide Brazil" or "homicide Switzerland". I would not waste time if I knew beforehand that the website is not connected to such statistics databases in those two latter countries.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Alex

POSTED BY: Alex Zardoz
3 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your answer. But my question was to know if there is a list of sources that I can browse before making a query. For instance to what Swiss public databases Wolframalpha is connected.

Currently I can know which ones it is not connected to by making a query and not seeing any results. But this is not very convenient :)

Cheers, Alex

POSTED BY: Alex Zardoz

I'm afraid this is not currently possible. There are trillions of individual data elements in the WolframAlpha knowledgebase, and more are added every day. It would be difficult to keep a public index of sources continuously updated.

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman

At the bottom of many results pages you can click the Sources button for information on the data sources for that query:

Animation of the  use of the sources button

As a result, we can see that the homicide data is from a US-specific source.

POSTED BY: Jesse Friedman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract