4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Why are Figs lacking in a shared file?

Posted 9 years ago

I am trying to share a simple notebook containing a Mathematica ListPlot generated figure and some text.

https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/f947cf75-0dca-40fa-b513-9ffdb1c2f9aa

If I open this URL while online with my Firefox browser, everything is fine. If I try this link in Internet Explorer, I get the error message

Interactivity is not enabled.

instead of the figure. The text is fine. The same loss of figure occurs when I email the link to another user who does not want to have anything to do with Mathematica. How do I get my figures to appear in a shared file?

Many thanks

POSTED BY: Mervin Hanson
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

OK Thanks If you wrap the figure creation code in Rasterize[#&, ImageSize -> Medium, ImageResolution->40]&, you get something that can be Shared and read by anybody.

This is a bit subtle, so I can appreciate your confusion. To display a plot like a ListPlot in the cloud front end (the browser) we need some extra information from the kernel that isn't needed for a notebook displayed on the desktop. When that information is not present, a kernel evaluation is needed which requires that a notebook be interactive. There are two ways you can end up with a graphic in a notebook that needs a kernel evaluation. The first is to create that notebook on the desktop and upload it to the cloud, because we don't currently process that notebook when it is uploaded. The other way is to copy a cell with a graphic from one cloud notebook to another. I'd say that this second case is just a bug and I'll see what we can do to fix it. The work around in your case is to generate the graphic again in the notebook you want to share rather than cutting and pasting it. You can also just convert the graphic to an image, which, since you are sharing a static notebook is good enough because one can't resize graphics in static notebooks anyway (that requires a kernel evaluation and therefore interactivity to be allowed).

POSTED BY: Andrew de Laix
Posted 9 years ago

There is a work around. Replace all the figures with their bitmap images.

https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/cb4588ea-4b8e-4320-91bc-ae67b0eeb55f

Works but there ought to be a better way.

Posted 9 years ago

The same thing happens in IE. If I close Firefox, open IE, log on to my account, come here, hit the Link, it runs fine. Now go to Firefox, paste the link, up comes the error message in place of the figure.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract