Message Boards Message Boards

Selectively plotting functions using Manipulate

Posted 9 years ago

Hi there,

I'd like to plot the solution region to a system of linear equations, but I want to be able to plot one equation at a time (and then "layer" them) instead of all at once. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that using the Manipulate function. Do I use CheckboxBar? Here's what I have so far:

points1 := Table[{i - 1, j - 1}, {i, 70}, {j, 70}]
Show[ListPlot[points1, PlotRange -> {{0, 70}, {0, 70}}, ImageSize -> 850,  AxesLabel -> {"Racing Cars", "Sport-Utility Cars"}, PlotStyle -> 
   Directive[RGBColor[0.45, 0.67, 0.82, 0.82], PointSize[0.005]], LabelStyle -> Medium],
   RegionPlot[{R <= 40, S <= 60, R + S >= 70}, {R, 0, 70}, {S, 0, 70}, 
   PlotLegends -> "Expressions"]]

What I don't want is to have the ability to plot only one equation at a time. E.g.,

Manipulate[
 Plot[function[frequency*x + phase], {x, -6.6, 6.6}], {frequency, 1, 
  5}, {phase, 1, 10}, {function, {Sin, Cos, Tan}}]

(Sorry, newbie here... I promise that I did do a thorough Google search, but none of the examples I found have been helpful to my situation.)

Many thanks!

POSTED BY: Ilona
5 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Just one more question: although your solution works like a charm at selectively plotting the different functions, it doesn't show the Plot Legend for the first function plotted (but it works fine for all cases thereafter). Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks again!

case 1

case 2

Use PlotLegends -> "AllExpressions" - there is example in docs for PlotLegends.

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 9 years ago

Wow, I can't believe how simple that is. Thanks so much!

I'm just wondering if you'd be able to point me to where I would have gotten that idea in the documentation, because I thought I had read Manipulate and TogglerBar pretty thoroughly. Or even if you could explain what exactly is going on.

Is this the case I'm using?

manipulate

Manipulate doc page has list of tutorials at the bottom. A must read:

What you need is TogglerBar:

points1 := Table[{i - 1, j - 1}, {i, 70}, {j, 70}]

Manipulate[

Show[

ListPlot[points1, PlotRange -> {{0, 70}, {0, 70}}, AxesLabel -> {"Racing Cars", "Sport-Utility Cars"}, 
   PlotStyle -> Directive[RGBColor[0.45, 0.67, 0.82, 0.82], PointSize[0.005]], LabelStyle -> Medium],

RegionPlot[r, {R, 0, 70}, {S, 0, 70}, PlotLegends -> "Expressions"], ImageSize -> 500]

, {{r, {R <= 40, R + S >= 70}}, {R <= 40, S <= 60, R + S >= 70}, TogglerBar}]

enter image description here

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract