Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

License questions and copyrights (Mathematica)

Posted 9 years ago

Before I get trouble, I better ask:

At the moment I am using the free Pi-version of Mathematica.

I've read that the Desktop-home-version (for pc) for 300€ "may NOT be used for commercial, non-profit....use".

I want to create non-commercial videos for youtube with some visualisations made with Mathematica...am I right that this is NOT allowed with the home-desktop-version? Do I really need a 3200€-version for creating a nonprofit yt-video with it?!

What about the free Pi-version -

am I allowed to create a non-profit yt-vid with it? Can't find such a text for it in the license...

Furthermore I play around at the moment with code-snippets from the "intothecontinuum"-blog, what about these in view of copyrights? Are there any copyrights on these mathematical code-snippets/animations? (for sure it is not my intention to 'steal' the creators ideas and say that I've made them on my own - but are there any copyrights on mathematical visualisations?)

Many thanks for a small explanation.

POSTED BY: Michael Steffen
3 Replies
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 8 years ago

non-profit means different things to different people - and you gave not a hint of which you mean. in USA the presiding interpretation is "non-profit organization" (which is a for-profit organization funded by the government)

the freeCDF license says "as long you post your CDF as ?creative commons licensed" (the same rights freeCDF gives you), you can use freeCDF.

i agree with your question "what is personal use and isn't it all profitable in some way" is a good question. if your a paid employee or share owner, making money, and using mathematica during the preparation to make the money: the answer is obvious: use your pay to pay for a license.

homework is work toward work profit. it is a little confusing what is preparation and what is profit in today's world of debt exchanges vs. pure capitalism - when a home edition is commercial or business profit. i've recently been wondering if job resume is "part of job related output". i certainly am not getting money for doing it, but i cannot say it isn't job related.

i cannot even find the original license spelling it out the terms today - so i'm having a double problem

i'd like to see a list of uses and non-uses just for clarity myself

i have a copy of mm 4.0 standard and fully willing to use only that (i still love using it) to do anything until i can upgrade Mathematica 11.0 to standard

POSTED BY: Anonymous User

Both licenses allow for personal and educational use, so you can proceed under either license you described.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

I would send an email/message to Wolfram customer support. They should be able to forward it to someone who can answer your question:

https://www.wolfram.com/support/contact/email/

The license is a legal document, so I hope you understand that I absolutely cannot offer my opinion or interpretation of it in any way.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract