Message Boards Message Boards

First forays into game design and agent reasoning about uncertainty

Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: Michael Hale
5 Replies

enter image description here - you earned "Featured Contributor" badge, congratulations !

Dear @Michael Hale, this is a great post and it has been selected for the curated Staff Picks group. Many people will receive a monthly digest featuring you post. Your profile is now distinguished by a "Featured Contributor" badge and displayed on the "Featured Contributor" board.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 9 years ago

Lovely post Michael!

A certain immediacy and intuition seems to be prerequisite in games made today. Why would the average customer choose high investment entertainment over a lower one? I think this has done a lot of damage to the strategy games I used to enjoy. The development of intuitive games falls easily upon realism. If a game looks and acts like the world we know, we discard the investment of learning its rules. This raises the minimum development cost across the board, striving for realism in physics and graphics. This also pushes out the interesting worlds, a grimy war zone more familiar than even a historical setting.

Emergent programming presents a nice balance. The designer can set up a system capable of more scenarios than they've explicitly considered. Though we do find difficult (and more mathematical) problems very quickly! You mention Dwarf Fortress, which is quite happy to let systems interact unchecked. Both the design and the agents in the game face problems from the lack of predictability.

How does one program intelligent characters for unforeseen situations? It's quite easy to establish an oscillation in discrete time systems like these games. How can a player sympathize with a character surprised by longstanding routine events? How can the computational cost of forecasting the future reflect the randomness or regularity a character has actually observed?

Further, how does one control gameplay once off piste? In a scripted game the pace of events and challenges can be mapped out at the designers leisure. Allowing emergent challenges could result in unwelcome fluctuations, long periods of boredom sparsely populated with moments of literal impossibility.

Please keep us up to date as you build the mind of the fisherman!

David

POSTED BY: David Gathercole
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks, David. You raise some interesting questions and thoughts.

I think the amount of time someone will invest in learning a game depends mostly on the entertainment value but then also on potential social rewards for culturally significant games. Entertainment value needs to begin almost immediately and continue throughout the learning curve as opposed to only becoming entertaining after a significant learning investment. The problem I'm running into personally these days, is that the entertainment value falls off too quickly for most games. I somewhat arbitrarily decided that if I get 30 minutes to an hour of entertainment per dollar then I will look back on a game as a good purchase. The problem I have is mostly because the big budget games today are still very similar to the ones I bought and played several years ago. Regarding culturally significant games, I don't actually find chess, for example, to be very fun. It just seems like a somewhat arbitrary example from the class of capture board games with pieces that have varying rules for movement. No one would just sit down and intuitively guess the rules because they resemble the real world. However, it has historical cultural significance. People associate it with intelligence, so I think it is worthwhile to be familiar with the rules. Many popular sports also have a fair bit of arbitrariness in the rules. Also, I suspect most of the dramatic and exciting situations in popular sports from the past few years have happened several times before. However, large amounts of time and money are invested in them due to the potential rewards from their cultural significance.

I think those factors definitely work against new, complex strategy games becoming very popular without significant marketing. I think another factor driving the investment focus on increasing polygon, texture, and lighting detail and rough Newtonian physics for the AAA titles these days is a desire to incorporate scenes that are pulled straight out of popular action movies. That's why so many games have barrels that explode when they are shot.

On the flip side of the realism drive though, I think fantasy stories and settings are more popular than ever in film and television. Look at the success of The Lord of the Rings films or Game of Thrones or of course the new Star Wars movie coming out.

I agree completely that if you are designing a game to be unpredictable, then the amount of enjoyment a player will have could be unpredictable. That's why I'm focusing on adding rules that have many downstream influences. That way hopefully no matter what choice a player makes, the system will respond in some way, which will hopefully keep them interested. Ultimately though, I think I just have to play it as I make it and add details to situations that seem fun as they are discovered.

I think the search approach will handle unforeseen situations naturally. However, I think the challenge will be to keep the computation times feasible as the system grows. If I start adding graphics and animations to a game, it will probably be important to decouple the simulation used for the logic from the simulation used for the presentation. Maybe certain search hints can be pre-computed, or appropriate hierarchical levels of abstraction regarding decision making can be introduced to reduce a large search to multiple small searches.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract