Message Boards Message Boards

Connecting ROS (and a Parrot ArDrone 2.0) to the Wolfram Language

Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: Loris Gliner
6 Replies

Awesome project; the write up is particularly impressive! It can be hard to give good structure to a lengthy post in this format.

Have you worked at all with lower level control of the drone, or interpreted its lower level data? I've an ongoing project to control a drone at a low level with Mathematica, but it doesn't have much time and growth is slow. I'd be very interested in any of your observations.

POSTED BY: David Gathercole
Posted 9 years ago

Hi David,

Thank you very much !

I also had a brief look at directly controlling the ArDrone from Mathematica (without ROS) at a low level.

I think that one possible way to achieve this would be to send 'low level' commands (UDP packets) to the drone (UDP port) 'from' Mathematica.

Alternatively, if this doesn't work, one could create a program sending the UDP packets in another language which then communicates with Mathematica (like I did with the C++ code above).

If you want examples of some UDP packets, a list of some possible messages that can be sent to the ArDrone 2.0 is available in the 'Parrot ArDrone Developer's guide' (can be downloaded from their website).

I hope this helps, and please keep me updated with any results you get !

Best regards,

Loris

enter image description here - you earned "Featured Contributor" badge, congratulations !

Dear @Loris Gliner , this is a great post and it has been selected for the curated Staff Picks group. Many people will receive a monthly digest featuring you post. Your profile is now distinguished by a "Featured Contributor" badge and displayed on the "Featured Contributor" board.

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks a lot ! I had lots of fun working on this project.

Great job Loris!

I like the picture. The robot doesn't look real, but you can see it's shadow.

POSTED BY: Todd Rowland
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you very much, one could also perform image analysis with the Wolfram Language to check it is real !

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract