|
|
2 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to get FindFit for average curve among several curves

I would like proposing the following problem: Starting from a list containing 6 sub-lists it is possible to plot 6 curves, one for each sub-list. The curves obtained are of type (Erfc). I need to find the average curve between these curves and then find the best model curve (Erfc) that to fit with the average curve obtained in order to obtain the parameters; a, ?, ? The attached contain my final code in which I have obtaining the average curve. The steps used to FindFit a model did not work out. I really appreciate for any cooperation...

Antonio

Attachments:
2 Replies

Dear Sean, Essentially you are correct about using FindFit, but I'm working with well behaved curves and this should not cause any problems. Anyway, I did not even know of the existence of FindDistributionParameters.... thanks for this.... I'm not sure how to work with this data list. The type of average that I need is just simple arithmetic average. However, x values are different for each sub-list and this complicates the situation. Thanks for any help!

Antonio

You usually do not want to use FindFit with Erfc. Scientists try to do this all the time, but it's usually wrong.

If you need to find the parameters of a distribution, look at FindDistributionParameters. Look at what algorithms it uses.

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/FindDistributionParameters.html

In summary, statistical curve fitting and estimating the parameters of a distribution are related tasks, but don't confuse them. There are methods for finding the parameters of different distributions. They exist for very important statistical reasons.

The technique you are using can give okay results with well behaved sets of data.

There are many different kinds of averages. Which is the correct one to use in your research? This is an important question.

Your code fails at this line:

ff1 = FindFit[f, model1, {a, \[Mu], \[Sigma]}, x]

The variable "f" is a Plot. The argument must be a list of data points. You need to create a list of data points.

In the plot, you do this using an Interpolation of each function and then averaging the Interpolations. How would you choose to do this for the data?

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract