|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Community and 'Hour of Code' ?

Posted 9 years ago

I am wondering about experience with 'Hour of Code' participation, is it nation wide- world wide, and if so presentation format a community member might have used? I attempted last year to present Euclid's Perpendicular Divisor, first a mechanical demonstration and then a CBM machine demo. My contribution was rejected for use as animation was favored demonstration using (Angry Birds) and (Frozen) as introductory venue for computer code. Here is this years solicitation; I wonder if anyone has participated and what was done for participation?

Hour of Code: City of Orlando After School All-Stars Orlando Tech Association has partnered with the City of Orlando's After School All-Stars program to bring Hour of Code to middle schoolers across the City on Monday, Dec 7th from 4-6PM. We are looking for volunteers to visit middle schools over the course of CS Education Week. Volunteers, who can range in experience level from beginner to expert, will spend a few hours at a single middle school helping to introduce children to Hour of Code and help them through the lessons. We have included a map of the participating schools to help you decide which school would be best for you or your team. https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zv_EG-GAbxsM.kKvN6RBwaOWw

We welcome individuals and local tech companies to join us in our goal to provide programming education to every middle school in Orlando during CS Education Week. We believe that our community has the talent and the dedication to help educate local children in the increasingly important area of computer science, and to have fun while we’re at it.

POSTED BY: Alexander Garron
2 Replies

Hi Alexander,

The hour of code is a global event, although it has a greater impact in the US. There is a way to sign up as a volunteer on the Hour of Code website: https://code.org/volunteer/local

For the most part those teachers that are having their students introduced to coding, know nothing about coding themselves. So usually the activities for the Hour of Code need to be extremely easy to implement and very engaging to students ie the games.

It's great to see what you're doing for the Hour of Code in FL. Are you doing and Wolfram Language based activities?

Thanks, Adriana

POSTED BY: Adriana O'Brien

Hello Adriana, yes I use simple code to do my favorite construction (Euclid's Perpendicular Divisor). It is from this platform I jump to constructing roots of magnitude. I have been told repeatedly that parametric geometry is to complicated for 8th graders, but code is language (Wolfram Language) needed to take a geometry shape in my mind, construct on a computer 'plane' screen, and so get past the (trig math) and start using the term as the shape I want to talk about and do math work with. I send my slides (7) and have not been accepted as volunteer yet and will let the Wolfram Community know what is happening. Slides are a work in progress and all community suggestions would be appreciated. Alex

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Alexander Garron
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract