1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Community and 'Hour of Code' ?

Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: Alexander Garron
2 Replies

Hi Alexander,

The hour of code is a global event, although it has a greater impact in the US. There is a way to sign up as a volunteer on the Hour of Code website: https://code.org/volunteer/local

For the most part those teachers that are having their students introduced to coding, know nothing about coding themselves. So usually the activities for the Hour of Code need to be extremely easy to implement and very engaging to students ie the games.

It's great to see what you're doing for the Hour of Code in FL. Are you doing and Wolfram Language based activities?

Thanks, Adriana

POSTED BY: Adriana O'Brien

Hello Adriana, yes I use simple code to do my favorite construction (Euclid's Perpendicular Divisor). It is from this platform I jump to constructing roots of magnitude. I have been told repeatedly that parametric geometry is to complicated for 8th graders, but code is language (Wolfram Language) needed to take a geometry shape in my mind, construct on a computer 'plane' screen, and so get past the (trig math) and start using the term as the shape I want to talk about and do math work with. I send my slides (7) and have not been accepted as volunteer yet and will let the Wolfram Community know what is happening. Slides are a work in progress and all community suggestions would be appreciated. Alex

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Alexander Garron
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract