Message Boards Message Boards

Issues: graphical performance of Mathematica in Windows 10 high resolution

I have a new Lenovo laptop (W550s) with a high resolution screen (2880 x 1620), running windows 10. I have installed Mathematica 10.3 and the graphical performance of it is terrible. The fonts and graphics are blurry and/or low resolution bit map performance. According to the recommendation I scaled the text size up to 200%, which makes Mathematica occupying the whole screen. I have been trying to disable scaling of Mathematica (on high DPI settings), which gives a crisp display of Mathematica. Menus, other text items and graphs comes however out too small and unreadable. The problem is not solved by the magnification feature, since graphics and text scales differently. It’s disappointing to see that when windows 10 is a huge improvement in almost all aspects, Mathematica’s graphical performance ruins the whole experience. Do some of you have any suggestions on how to solve this?

POSTED BY: Arne Eide
9 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

I am having the same issues with Windows 10, it really does not work well for high dpi screens currently. All suggestions I found (Stackoverflow etc.) are just more or less functional workarounds that at the latest stop working when adding another monitor to the setup. Is there some timeframe when this can be fixed?

POSTED BY: Martin Bednorz
Posted 8 years ago

Any news on this front ? Mathematica 11 GUI is almost useless - on Linux with Dell HDPi screen (3840x2160) - fonts extremely small - Option Inspector not working (Magnification X 2 is not uniform mangles fonts/cells in different environments ...) , when will this problem fixed ? I payed for license and cannot use the software (this HDPi monitor have been in use for a while now ...), thanks

POSTED BY: Radu Mondescu

It is a shame that a modern and unique software like Mathematica still does not have proper high DPI support on Windows and Linux as it does on OS X! I hope this will be fixed in the next version!

Posted 8 years ago

the problem remains even in the newest version mathematica 11...

POSTED BY: Sichao GUO

I think that the problem will be fixed when they decide to write the GUI using the QT5 libraries instead of the QT4....but In version 11 they are still using QT4 :(

Are you sure that your graphics card works well? Do other applications work fine?

The graphics card seems to be in perfectly good shape, all other applications I have been using work fine. The text in Mathematica is still readable (see screenshot below), but I did not expect this lousy quality.

Screenshot from a Mathematica session on my computer.

POSTED BY: Arne Eide

Have you tried checking the resolution settings in the 'control panel' >> 'Display' area? I often have to adjust settings her when using a second screen - the Lenovo screen is too crisp to map easily onto an external monitor. Roger Dench

POSTED BY: roger Dench

This is because Windows have to upscale Mathematica's interface, otherwise it will look too small. With high DPI screens this seems to be a common problem - I have a 15 inch with 3840 × 2160 resolution, and any window which is not magnified by at least two times is not readable at all. But when it is magnified, the problem looks exactly like Arne Eide described - lousy quality.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract