|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Finding the inverse of a mapping of a disk onto an airfoil

Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: SALIOU TELLY
13 Replies

I wonder if you can interpolate the derivatives, instead of derivating the interpolation.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

If a numerical inverse is enough for you, you can compute the direct transformation in the points in a grid, reverse the order and then use something like ListInterpolation.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Gianluca for the suggestion!

I was trying to first take the route of finding an expression for the inverse, but I may have to look at the numerical inverse or just formulate a transformation from scratch to map interior points of an airfoil onto interior points of a circle.

The issue with the numerical inverse is that I plan to next find the deformation gradient matrix and its Jacobian from this map, which involves finding derivatives with respect to variables. That task would be "easier" if I could find an explicit expression ....

Thanks again,

Saliou

Posted 9 years ago

Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Attached is the simplified notebook that I am using....

Regards,

Saliou Telly

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Daniel!

I am actually interested in the inverse of the last map in the notebook ((xd, yd) ---> (xa, ya)), which maps the circular annulus to the airfoil annulus. So I would like to find an expression for the inverse map ((xa, ya) ---> (xd, yd)).

What you have solved is the inverse mapping of a circular disk to a circular annulus, which was just a step that I use to generate a circular annulus before mapping it to an airfoil annulus.

I will try your approach to see if it helps in finding the inverse map of interest.....

Thanks again,

Saliou

POSTED BY: Kay Herbert
Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: Kay Herbert
Posted 9 years ago
Posted 9 years ago

It would be more easy to test this if Mathematica code were provided.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract