|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Finding the inverse of a mapping of a disk onto an airfoil

Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: SALIOU TELLY
13 Replies

I wonder if you can interpolate the derivatives, instead of derivating the interpolation.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

If a numerical inverse is enough for you, you can compute the direct transformation in the points in a grid, reverse the order and then use something like ListInterpolation.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Gianluca for the suggestion!

I was trying to first take the route of finding an expression for the inverse, but I may have to look at the numerical inverse or just formulate a transformation from scratch to map interior points of an airfoil onto interior points of a circle.

The issue with the numerical inverse is that I plan to next find the deformation gradient matrix and its Jacobian from this map, which involves finding derivatives with respect to variables. That task would be "easier" if I could find an explicit expression ....

Thanks again,

Saliou

Posted 9 years ago

Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Attached is the simplified notebook that I am using....

Regards,

Saliou Telly

Attachments:

I made a few small modifications. I did not check which, if any, make a difference to the outcome.

(1) I made all numbers exact. This could be an issue, for example, in "symbolic" handling of square roots.

(2) I converted the equations to expressions.

(3) I did not define x and y to be functions of r and theta. I expect that this makes the reverse solving problem easier. In particular we can now solve for those rather than for the {r,theta} pair.

Ro = 2;
Ri = 1;
\[Rho] = 2;
\[Alpha] = -1/4;
\[Beta] = 0;
\[Lambda] = 7/4;

exprs = {-xd + (Ri*x)/(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) + ((Ro - Ri)/Ro)*x, 
      -yd + (Ri*y)/(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) + ((Ro - Ri)/Ro)*y};

Timing[solns = Simplify[Solve[exprs == 0, {x, y}]]]

(* Out[156]= {0.546003, {{x -> (
    2 (xd^3 + xd yd^2 - Sqrt[xd^2 (xd^2 + yd^2)]))/(xd^2 + yd^2), 
   y -> (2 yd (xd^3 + xd yd^2 - Sqrt[xd^2 (xd^2 + yd^2)]))/(
    xd (xd^2 + yd^2))}, {x -> (
    2 (xd^3 + xd yd^2 + Sqrt[xd^2 (xd^2 + yd^2)]))/(xd^2 + yd^2), 
   y -> (2 yd (xd^3 + xd yd^2 + Sqrt[xd^2 (xd^2 + yd^2)]))/(
    xd (xd^2 + yd^2))}}} *)

It might be overwhelming in terms of complexity to do a full symbolic solution of the original pair of equations. Specializing the parameters makes it viable. So you might want to consider having a function that just inverts when given specific values of those parameters.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Daniel!

I am actually interested in the inverse of the last map in the notebook ((xd, yd) ---> (xa, ya)), which maps the circular annulus to the airfoil annulus. So I would like to find an expression for the inverse map ((xa, ya) ---> (xd, yd)).

What you have solved is the inverse mapping of a circular disk to a circular annulus, which was just a step that I use to generate a circular annulus before mapping it to an airfoil annulus.

I will try your approach to see if it helps in finding the inverse map of interest.....

Thanks again,

Saliou

I think it would be much easier to keep the map w=f[z] in the complex plane. If you want to invert the map you need to solve for z=f^-1[z] . Mathematica usually can handle it, for example:

In[1]:= Solve[a z + b/z == w, z]

In[2]:= Solve[a (z - z0) + b/(z - z0) == w, z]

Out[2]= {{z -> (w - Sqrt[-4 a b + w^2] + 2 a z0)/(2 a)}, {z -> (
   w + Sqrt[-4 a b + w^2] + 2 a z0)/(2 a)}}
POSTED BY: Kay Herbert
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Kay!

I will give it a try in the complex domain where it was first derived. However, the map in the complex form (w = f(z)) involved magnitude of z ( |z| ), which you can see in the algebraic form as sqrt (xd^2 + yd^2)... I was not sure would be easily inverted by Mathematica or any other tool.

But it is worth a try and thanks for the suggestion....

Regards,

Saliou

All depends, but usually you get an answer if it exists. Example:

In[9]:= Solve[w == (z - z0)/Abs[z] + 1/(z Abs[z]), z]

Out[9]= {{z -> (z0 - Sqrt[-4 - 4 w + z0^2])/(2 (1 + w))}, {z -> (
   z0 + Sqrt[-4 - 4 w + z0^2])/(
   2 (1 + w))}, {z -> (-z0 - Sqrt[-4 + 4 w + z0^2])/(
   2 (-1 + w))}, {z -> (-z0 + Sqrt[-4 + 4 w + z0^2])/(2 (-1 + w))}}

You can also try Reduce

POSTED BY: Kay Herbert
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Kay!

This seems promising as it does appear to be able to solve in the complex form. I will look into the solution in more detail for correctness and also see if I can re-express it in Cartesian form, which is really the ideal form that I would need to work with.

I am more of a Matlab person but I am amazed by the power of Mathematica when it comes to symbolic calculations.....

Thanks again for your time,

Saliou

Posted 9 years ago

It would be more easy to test this if Mathematica code were provided.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract