Message Boards Message Boards

Instagram Location Features

I am a student working on a research project, and I am trying to use the social media, particularly Instagram, features of Mathematica to count the number of pictures posted at a particular location. Does anyone know if this can be done? And if so, how?

I have been able to find location information (latitude and longitude values) for Instagram pictures by using a UserID to import images posted by that user and then finding the location information of those images. I learned how to do that through a notebook my teacher shared with me called "Teaching Computational Thinking". With this in mind, I have looked through the Wolfram Documentation Center and tried on my own to find how to reverse this process in order to find the number of media posted at a location, but I have not been able to do so. I am beginning to think that there is no way for Instagram media to be found using the location as the means of finding the media, because I cannot find a command in the Documentation Center or figure out a solution on my own.

Any response is appreciated, whether confirming there is no way to find media based on location or, hopefully, showing there is a way.

Many thanks, Stephen.

POSTED BY: Stephen Olsen

APIs like LinkedIn's only allow you to do certain things. It's very possible that what you want to do isn't allowed in any way by the API.

ServiceConnect doesn't always allow you to do everything that the API allows you to do.

Looking at the API documentation, it appears that you can search for locations near a given latitude and longitude and request for a list of recent pictures taken at that location:

https://www.instagram.com/developer/endpoints/locations/

It does not look like you can do that with ServiceConnect.

So, if you wanted to do that, you would need to call the API directly:

• First understand the basics of how to call an API
  • Understand Instagrams API documentation and play around with it
  • Then you can use the API using Mathematica's URLFetch function.
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract