|
7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 10.3 crashes repeatedly when plotting a function

Posted 8 years ago

My Mathematica 10.3 student edition crashes repeatedly when doing the following:

• Plot a function like sin(1/x) or simply x² with the plot command (like Plot[x^2, {x, -10, 10}])
  • click on the plot and adjust the plot's size with drag and drop
  • click on labels and then on theme
  • Mathematica eventually crashes AND the clipboard is deleted (I copied the plot command, and couldn't insert it when restarting Mathematica after the crash)

Is this a known issue/bug?

And where can I adjust the scaling of the axes? when I try to plot sin(1/x), no graph is shown as the scaling especially of the y axe is too big.

POSTED BY: Sebastian K.
7 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

I have the same problem when using Plot3D. I have 10.4 student edition. did you find any solution

heard it might be something to do with graphics drivers

POSTED BY: alec sandoval
Posted 8 years ago

No, there isn't any software running on both machines which modifies Windows...

I'm using the regular edition, not the student edition. But in principle that should not make any difference. And I'm using Mathematica 10.3.1, not 10.3.

Given that you've experienced this on two different machines, could it be that you have some other app running or that otherwise modifies Windows?

Also, I'd definitely try re-downloading your install file, check the MD5 sum against what the downloads page says the sum should be so as to guard against damage during downloading, then uninstall and re-install.

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Posted 8 years ago

So why can I reproduce this crash on two completely different machines with different Windows versions and hardware? Do you have a student edition too? Is there anyone other who can reproduce this crash?

Posted 8 years ago

Maybe it's windows-exclusive, I don't know as I don't use any apple device. I could reproduce it on my notebook: after clicking on labels, theme, labels, it crashed. My notebook runs Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit (Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SanDisk SSD), my PC runs Windows 8.1 Professional 64 Bit (self-built, Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, GTX 980, 256GB Crucial MX200, 3TB Seagate Barracuda).

When I run Mathematica 10.3.1 under Windows 10 (in a virtual machine in Parallels Desktop on my Mac), I still do not get any crash when I carry out the steps you outlined.

I'm not getting any such crash when I carry out those exact steps with Mathematica 10.3.1 under Mac OS X 10.11.2 -- either if I literally do what you said or, instead, actually fill in values in the dialog box for just Labels or the dialog box for just Theme.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract