Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to plot all primes from 1 to 100 in Wolfram|Alpha?

Posted 8 years ago

When I run:

plot all primes and y=x from 1 to 100

In Wolfram Alpha it shows the third quadrant, where both functions are undefined. Is this a WA glitch or an error on my part? Does anyone know how it can be fixed? Screen capture:

Result

POSTED BY: Nathan Nye
2 Replies

Your query seems ambiguous as to whether you want the first 100 primes or only those primes whose values are less than 100. I'll assume the latter meaning.

That's a rather complicated query you're trying to pose to Wolfram!Alpha. Try a simpler one first—just ask for a plot of those primes. Even that is tricky to request.

You'll get an error if you ask merely "plot primes from 1 to 100", as Wolfram!Alpha will try to use the function Prime and evaluate it at inputs such as 1.00202, which make no sense.

"plot primes between 1 and 100 increment 1" works. (Oddly, Wolfram!Alpha says the interpretation is "plot primes between 1 and 100"!)

I don't know, though, what additional query will add the graph of y=x to the result.

In Mathematica itself, what you ask is easy to do. One way is:

p = ListPlot[Prime[Range[100]]];
  g = Plot[x, {x, 1, 100}];
  Show[{p, g}]

enter image description here

Note that the ListPlot expression will produce a plot of the 1st through the 100th prime, that is, with an x-coordinate up to 541. However, the Plot expression restricts x to a maximum of 100.

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg

Sometimes, Wolfram|Alpha misunderstands your input, like in this case. You can leave feedback for the Wolfram|Alpha team on the webapage. They are always interested in seeing examples like this so they can improve the responses you get.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract