8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Mathematica 9.0.1 unstable on Ubuntu 12.04.2

Posted 11 years ago
Hey,

I hope this is the right place to post my question in:
Mathematica 9.0.1 runs quite unstably on my machine with Ubuntu 12.04.02 LTS.
I can reproduce the crashes by using WolframAlpha out of Mathematica's Front End: If I use this function, the pop-up appears which say "Formatting Notebook contents" and then the Kernel and the Front End terminates without any message.
Somethimes, these crashes also occur by using the Documention, which is very annoying.
Did you encounter similiar issues or do you maybe have any solutions?

Regards, and thx in advance,
Jürgen
9 Replies
Does the stylesheet you are using have a "DisplayNumberedEquations" style defined?

Crashing from ALT+0 being pressed sounds like a different problem than the "X Error" messages.
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
I'm glad that you were able to get this working.  Wolfram Research does actually have a Knowledge Base article on this problem as well:

http://support.wolfram.com/kb/3303

There isn't much more information in there beyond what Sean has already said, but the Knowledge Base is generally a good reference that supplements the Community website.
POSTED BY: Karl Isensee
Posted 11 years ago
Hi,

I use the -mesa option, but mathematica crashes again today. The error shown in the terminal is
"Mathematica has received the signal: SIGSEGV and has exited.
If possible, please report this problem to support@wolfram.com
describing in as much detail as possible what you were doing
when the problem occurred.
'

This occured when I use "Alt+0" to call "DisplayNumberedEquations" style. Every time I call this format using shotkey, Mathematica crashes. It may not related to the -mesa option, but I did use that option to start Mathematca. It may also be possible that I set that notebook as a template, and there was an error when I wanted to call a format from itself. What is the real cause? How to fix it? Thanks.
POSTED BY: Xiaodong Qi
Posted 11 years ago
The -mesa option works for me. Thank you!

Do you know any working graphic drive for Thinkpad X200 tablet? I am using the default one in Ubuntu 12.04, have no clue of why there is a problem...
GLXBadContext errors generally mean that something is wrong with the driver for your graphics card. This is causing problems with Mathematica on start up. The quickest way to get around this is to use mesa when starting up Mathematica instead of OpenGL. To do this, start Mathematica by executing "mathematica -mesa" in the terminal. A long term approach to the problem might be to update your graphics card driver or revert to a version of it which does not have this issue.
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 11 years ago
I got the same Error warning...

I was installing the Mathematica in Ubuntu 12.04. I closed a window where it asked me to register for Mathematica community or something, because I have already had an ID. When I tried to restart the Mathematica in the terminal, that error above occured, and Mathematica cannot start. Wish you can fix it. Thanks.
This sounds like something local system dependent. This place to address this would be technical support. Did you try that?
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
For example, if I call WolframAlpha by
"WolframAlpha["xyz"]"
and save the whole notebook (with WolframAlpha's output data stored in the tables) and re-open this file, then Mathematica will reproduce the crash.

/Edit: Just recognized, that Mathematica produces an terminal prompt on terminating:

X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
Major opcode of failed request: 154 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
Serial number of failed request: 17036
Current serial number in output stream: 17035

X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
Serial number of failed request: 17031
Current serial number in output stream: 17036

X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 17037
Current serial number in output stream: 17037

Mathematica has received the signal: SIGSEGV and has exited.
If possible, please report this problem to support@wolfram.com
describing in as much detail as possible what you were doing
when the problem occurred.
Can you provide more detail, like a specific example or examples of what you do to that shows the problem?
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract