|
|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Failure running large batch run with Mathematica/SystemModeler

I am doing a large batch run of SystemModeler simulations using Mathematica to map out a surface. For each simulation run I am pulling only 3 scalar values and storing them in a data file before going to the next run. I am using a Do loop structure to call the simulation, pull the data of interest and save to file. I need to run about 50000 simulations to map out a space, so the batch may take a long time to run.

I posted last week about one problem I was having at first with temporary file space, which I was able to fix with:

WSMLinkLibraryClearTemporaryFiles[-1]

However, now I having stability problems with Mathematic pertaining to dynamic updates. The batch run will chug along fine for a few hours, but then throw an error seemingly randomly about dynamic update taking too long, I then have to kill the kernal and start the run again where it left off. Or, in a few instances, a couple hours into the run Mathematica just is locked up and I have to kill the Windows process completly before I re-start Mathematic and start my run again.

I have also had this problem in the past (last year) doing batch runs of SystemModeler through Mathematica. I can not find any logical reason why these problems are happening, but it is very frustrating to have to keep re-starting my code.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

POSTED BY: Wayne Weaver
6 Replies

I can also observe a small memory increase on running a simulation, but nothing on the order of 10MB. Here are some more suggestions:

• Clear the system cache in each iteration
  • Clear your variables in each iteration

So something like this:

$HistoryLength = 0;
    Do[
     m1 = MemoryInUse[];
     s = WSMSimulate["IntroductoryExamples.HelloWorld"];
     v = s["x"];
     (* do something with the result v *)
     ClearAll[v, s];
     ClearSystemCache[];
     m2 = MemoryInUse[];
     Print[m2 - m1];
     , {i, 10}]

You can use the MemoryInUse and Print to monitor the memory usage.

If that does not improve anything, would you be willing to share your Do loop?

POSTED BY: Malte Lenz

The process "Wolfram Kernel for Windows" is what is eating up memory. It grows about 10MB with every Do loop.

The process "WSMKernelX" stays at a level memory usage.

I can not share the model, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are comfortable sharing your model and notebook, you could also send them to support@wolfram.com and we can take a closer look to narrow down what is eating up all the memory.

Can you see which process is consuming all the memory?

Here are a few suggestions/guesses:

• Try setting the history length to 0:

$HistoryLength = 0

• Turn off dynamic updating for your notebook in Evaluation -> Dynamic Updating Enabled.

• Turn off the dynamic progress monitor for simulations in your call to WSMSimulate:

WSMSimulate["YourModel", WSMProgressMonitor -> False]

It would be interesting to know if any of these processes take a lot of memory and/or CPU when the hanging occurs:

• WolframKernel
  • Mathematica
  • SessionManager (the link between Mathematica and SystemModeler)
  • WSMKernelX (the kernel for SystemModeler)

Thanks for the help, but it is still failing to run over large batches. I did all the suggested options, and I even migrated everything over into a wolfram language script, with no luck.

All I am doing is using a DO loop to run a few simulations to find a point of interest, then saving a couple of values from the simulation in a data file, then move to the next operating point of interest. I am not saving anything in memory (at least that I am aware of). However, after about an hour of runs it stops and says my computer is out of memory.

Any further suggestions?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract