|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Fourier Transformation of periodic functions

Posted 8 years ago

Hi, I was wondering whether there is a reason why Mathematica can not perform the Fourier Transformation of a square wave signal outlined as follows:

FourierTransform[SquareWave[t], t, \[Omega]]

Thanks in advance

POSTED BY: Saf Al
4 Replies

This is definitely a good question! This calculation is so easy that it can be done in ones head: A SquareWave can basically be written as a convolution of DiracComb and HeavisidePi; so the answer is a produce of DiracComb and Sinc. Obviously Mathematica does not know the convolution theorem. Similar strange effects have been reported, e.g. here.

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner
Posted 8 years ago

The wave function, on which I wanted to apply Fourier Transform, was a bit more complex. But then I realized that Mathematica can't perform Fourier Transform, in general, on periodic signals such as SquareWave, TriangleWave and SawtoothWave. Knowing that, Fourier Transform of periodic functions is fundamental in Signal Processing, I hope the abilities of FourierTransform function will be improved in future Mathematica releases. Thanks for your response anyways.

Perhaps you want FourierSeries instead of FourierTransform?

FourierSeries[SquareWave[t], t, 5]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks for responding. Actually, I was examining the ability of Mathematica to perform Fourier Transform on periodic functions.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract