4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 10.4 Does Not Work on Mac OS X 10.11.4 - Work-around No Good

Posted 8 years ago

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Mac to Mac OS X 10.11.4 and also updated my Mathematica version to 10.4. Per a Wolfram instructions for a work around posted at: http://support.wolfram.com/kb/23626 I tried the work-around steps but each time I launch Mathematica this way (or any other way) I get a dialog panel indicating that Mac OS is "Verifying the Mathematica Application" with a progress bar that never finishes.

Is anyone else observing this issue? Is Wolfram testing these releases on each platform before they are released to customers?

Thanks

POSTED BY: Robert Stephens
4 Replies

So I did try setting the "Allow Applications Downloaded Anywhere" option in System Preferences -> Security and Privacy previously and that did not work either. However i did get it working with the following procedure:

Procedure that works 1. Delete Mathematica.app from the Applications folder 2. In a terminal shell I executed the following command: sudo spctl --disable /Applications/Mathematica.app per instructions at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4680288?start=0&tstart=0 3. Re-Install Mathematica 10.4 4. Set Security and Privacy to "Allow Applications from Anywhere" 5. Launch Mathematica by double clicking Mathematica.app in the Applications folder 6. Enter Activation Key 7. Mathematica 10.4 now working on MacOS X 10.11.4

It appears there was a problem in gatekeeper after I tried to launch Mathematica 10.4 the first time (perhaps I clicked cancel instead of ok when the dialog panel popped up saying Mathematica.app is from the Internet do you want to open?) In any case, it is now running. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Perhaps try the following

1. Open System Preferences, and select Security and Privacy.
  2. Select “allow applications downloaded from anywhere”.
  3. Launch Mathematica by double clicking on the program’s icon, wait until it has completed the process and open an empty document. Then, close the program by selecting Quit from the Mathematica menu
  4. Again open System Preferences, and select Security and Privacy.
  5. Select “allow applications downloaded from MacApp Store and identified developers”.
  6. Launch Mathematica by double clicking on the program’s icon
POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

No that didn't work either. The only thing I see is the dialog panel below when starting Mathematica 10.4 on Mac OS X 10.11.4

Result of Starting Mathematica 10.4 on Mac OS X 10.11.4 - Verifying Mathematica app panel pops up and after a long time says Mathematica app could not be verified even after trying Wolfram's work-around listed above and the option-shift suggestion above

No issues with Mathematica 10.4 and OS X 10.11.4 on either of my computers. As noted elsewhere in the community, there is an issue with the OpenGL rendering for some 3-D graphics, but that happened with the previous iteration of OS X.

Try 'resetting' Mathematica by starting it holding down the option and shift keys. As I recall, this was an issue some time in the past.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract