Message Boards Message Boards

Comparison of PCA and NNMF over image de-noising

Posted 8 years ago
POSTED BY: Anton Antonov
4 Replies

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations !

We are happy to see you at the tops of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps explain some of the acronyms as I had to look some of them up ;)

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Just did that. (And added another section of comparison with Classify.)

UPDATE: Actually, I did not explain the acronyms, just put links to them. It has been in my to-do list to make a post just explaining SVD and NNMF with simple 3D examples and more complicated higher dimensional examples. (I did a presentation like this at WRI in March, 2016.)

Comparison of PCA, NNMF, and ICA

See this discussion for doing Independent Component Analysis (ICA) in Mathematica : "Independent component analysis for multidimensional signals".

This blog post shows an extension of the comparison in this discussion with ICA : "Comparison of PCA, NNMF, and ICA over image de-noising".

Image highlights of that comparison follow.

Original, noised, and de-noised images

Image collage of orginal, noised, PCA, NNMF, ICA de-noised 6 and 7 images

Comparison using classifiers

We can further compare the de-noising results by building digit classifiers and running them over the de-noised images.

Classifier comparison over PCA, NNMF, ICA de-noised images of 6 and 7

We can see that with ICA we get better results than with PCA/SVD, probably not as good as NNMF, but very close.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract