Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
9 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Obtain the Wolfram Language Documentation offline?

Posted 8 years ago

Is there any way I can get an offline-accessible copy of the Wolfram Language documentation? I can't find any links/pages with anything about an offline version.

POSTED BY: E-Hern Lee
9 Replies

2.1GB would be fine for many iPads; I'd be happy if I had independent doc on my iPads.

One could certainly imagine versions that had optional parts of the documentation left out.

An iPad with an M1 chip might even have evaluatable documentation.

I'd happily pay for that.

WCC

POSTED BY: W. Craig Carter
Posted 2 years ago

2.1 is a lower bound. The bulk is directory language. You could apply filters to httrack. And apply some html compression to the output. Or convert it to pdf, and then compress it. Have a look here and here.

PS: I confirm that this will load quickly:

httrack https://reference.wolfram.com/workbench -https://reference.wolfram.com/language/*

enter image description here enter image description here

POSTED BY: Erwann Rogard

Like E-hern Lee, I've wished to have an offline documentation.

I like to read on my tablet device. For the WL, I find the html documentation too slow.

Another issue is that I tend to "modify and evaluate" too quickly when using the live documentation and should probably be reading more thoughtfully. I believe that I learn more about the language when I read the on-line documentation,. The live documentation is more useful, yes, but my interaction mode is different.

I'd pay up to $100 for a tablet-readable no-kernel version of the documentation. It would need to maintain the link structure and could have down-sampled images. However, I imagine that the full documentation would be too large to fit on a tablet: the documentation appears to be 3.7GB on my Mac and would probably get larger if graphics objects were converted to images.

I would also pay for an abridged version of the documentation with just the function listing, their arguments, Detail section, and with (all) Options.

Just my 2 cents---or $100.

Don't you think we could make some code that takes a webpage and saves it? and do so nestedly, should not be TOO hard right? We just have to replace all the links (stylesheets, images, javascript) to local copies...

I'm not sure about the legality though, but if you can see it for free online, I don't think it is such a big problem as long as you don't resell it somehow of course...

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Hello Sander, Yes, I think it shouldn't be too hard too. I've thought about doing just that. I imagine that I'll just keep thinking about it.

Posted 8 years ago

HTTrack/WinHTTrack already do that.

POSTED BY: E-Hern Lee
Posted 2 years ago

It's bloated.

httrack https://reference.wolfram.com/workbench Mirror launched on Tue, 29 Mar 2022 00:46:33 by HTTrack Website Copier/3.49-2 [XR&CO'2014]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Erwann Rogard

If you buy Mathematica, you have the documentation. Since the documentation uses Wolfram Language code to implement the examples (the documentation pages are really just notebooks), I don't think that there is any other way to get the documentation off-line.

Mathematica includes the documentation, apart from that (to my knowledge) there is no downloadable documentation.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract