Message Boards Message Boards

[GIF] Circle - Gecko - triangular tiling transformation inspired by Escher

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
9 Replies

nice ! +1

POSTED BY: Ali Hashmi
Posted 7 years ago

I think about two things we can explore for Escher in WL.

1. Micheal Trott blogs a image transform also. For example, some points and lines on lizard need to be appear and disappear. we can use his method, probably.

http://blog.wolfram.com/2013/07/19/using-formulas-for-everything-from-a-complex-analysis-class-to-political-cartoons-to-music-album-covers/

2.Escher's Tessellation style, see wiki. Escher's design method, see this link GIF. I think Escher start from a simple square, then base on some rules he get a lizard profile, that can be made for tessellation.

POSTED BY: Frederick Wu
Posted 7 years ago

Hi Sander,

Very cool !

I play a little bit your code, export a image format. enter image description here

ImageRotate[ImageAssemble[Partition[Image@Table[Graphics[MakeScene[\[Tau]],PlotRange->{{-2.5,2.5},{0,2}}],{\[Tau],0,1,.05}],1]],Pi/2]

It looks more like Escher's Metamorphosis style in his time ( without internet and GIF). http://www.mcescher.com/gallery/transformation-prints/

POSTED BY: Frederick Wu

That is really neat! Thanks for sharing! Now I feel I should do more of these kind of transformations!

As others mentioned it is great and instructional. It look like an XKCD version too...

POSTED BY: Anton Antonov

Very nice! The simplicity of the idea makes it all the more appealing.

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations !

We are happy to see you at the top of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Spectacular! Now I finally understand what process Escher was using to make these tilings. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie

Glad you like it!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract