Message Boards Message Boards

Extracting data from Wolfram|Alpha?

Posted 8 years ago

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to extract data from Wolfram Alpha? Wolfram Alpha has some wonderful resources that Mathematica doesn't seem to have? As a more specific question, I'm trying to extract spectral lines for different atoms. Wolfram Alpha has the NIST database.

For example, to see some beryllium spectra I would type:

WolframAlpha["beryllium spectral lines", {{"Lines:AtomicSpectrumData",
    1}, "Content"}, 
 PodStates -> {"Lines:AtomicSpectrumData__More", 
   "Lines:AtomicSpectrumData__Show line characteristics"}]

If you go to wolfram alpha you would just type "beryllium spectral lines." The output in Mathematica contains just a portion of the data. The code above is for the visible spectra. I can add code "Lines:AtomicSpectrumData__Ultraviolet region" to see the ultraviolet lines. For the visible spectrum I can add "Lines:AtomicSpectrumData__More" to the code to see a bigger table of data.

My question is: Can I just get all of the spectral data in one output? I couldn't figure it out. I hope this answer can be generalized (and thus more useful) to other wolfram alpha outputs.

Thanks for any insight.

POSTED BY: Will Smith
2 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

That's what I feared. Thank you for the reply.

POSTED BY: Will Smith

Ideally, you might be able to get this data from ElementData:

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ElementData.html

But it doesn't look like it supports what you're looking for yet. In that case you will have to use WolframAlpha to get the data. The WolframAlpha command really just works by navigation. There isn't a specific design to it that allows you to determine what information it might have or the structure it will take. You just discover the information that is available with it. Since it breaks up the spectrum into those components, that's the way the data is available.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract