Message Boards Message Boards

Fractals to 3D files with Mathematica?

Posted 8 years ago

My goal is to create a seamless process in generating a 3d mandelbulb/julia set fractal and generating a 3d model at a specified resolution. Right now I've been using Mandelbulber 2 (A awesome piece of fractal software). It seems to use ray tracing and to export it takes a number of slices of voxel layers, outputting them as images. I then take Fiji and compile them into a image stack and THEN into a wavefront obj. Then I clean up the mesh with Meshlab. My point is that this is a tedious process that may not yield exactly what I want. I would like to make this more efficient and I believe that rendering the fractal through a different process or analyzing it would make it so much more efficient (Also using the GPU is recommended). This is a big project I have no business starting and so I welcome any input you have to offer.

POSTED BY: Jeffery Cole
4 Replies

Can you export something using the

OpenCLFractalRender3D[] 

function?

Posted 8 years ago

It seems pretty difficult to draw 3D fractals another way with mathematica just because their unorthodox style. How do you even work in a coordinate system like that with mathematica? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbulb

POSTED BY: John Kelly

My exact struggles. Thanks for your input!

Does anyone know exactly how this renders? Or where I might find out?

Needs["OpenCLLink`"];
OpenCLFractalRender3D["Type" -> "Julia"]

I'm quite ignorant of the processes of rendering fractals, but am a quick study.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract