Message Boards Message Boards

Mathematica instances on AWS vs. Azure

I am looking for advice on deploying Mathematica for HPC in an on-demand cloud environment. I occasionally have Mathematica projects that require parallel computing and large amounts of RAM. These generally involve clustering, multi-dimensional scaling, geospatial transformation of large lists and geospatial plotting. I am currently running Mathematica 10.4 on an academic HPC network, but have real trouble getting the configuration I need (12 cores, 256 GB RAM, GPU array, SSD working drive) at any reasonable priority. I am looking at deploying on AWS or Azure.

Does anybody have experience with either service?

How is the Mathematica licensing handled (is it machine locked requiring a dedicated server?)

Any recommendations for OS? (Linux vs. Windows Server...I know, but I had to ask)

Thanks!

POSTED BY: Martin Zand
Posted 8 years ago

I installed Mathematica and a constellation of related applications and data services via iLand (http://www.iland.com/). They basically set up a virtual Windows box in the cloud, to which I could RDP from wherever, and provided extensive redundancy and backup. I installed all my software there and used it as though it were a local machine, although it wasn't. The cost came to about $800/month.

POSTED BY: Michael Stern
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract