Message Boards Message Boards

Reject divergent solution at the origin r=0 in DSolve?

GROUPS:

I am a new member of this community (not newby, though, in Mathematica) and I came to this community with a question for which I could not find answer in the Internet.

Very often, during solution of PDE with 2 or more spatial variables in cylindrical or spherical coordinates, you end up with radial 1D ODE with ordinary (Dirichlet or Neumann) boundary condition at fixed radius r=R and requirement that the solution should be regular (non-diverging) at the origin r=0. Is there any way to set such regularity "boundary" condition at r=0 in DSolve? I put quotes because the origin is not a boundary and we cannot set a value of the solution (or its derivative) there. When I use Mathematica in the interactive mode, I can manually remove the divergent term from the solution, but I cannot write a script which can finish the job without human intervention. Any ideas? I use Mathematica 9.0.

Thank you.

Answer
11 months ago

It would help if you included samples of what you are trying to do. Example equations and what you have tried already.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Answer
11 months ago

Group Abstract Group Abstract