|
11 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Issues with WSTP

Posted 8 years ago

Hello, I'm trying to do some fairly simple stuff with WSTP, creating a function 'f' which returns the sum of the two arguments. I followed the instruction for making the template files and make file, but I get a long error message. This is the start of it the error:

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
  "std::__basic_file<char>::is_open() const", referenced from:
      WSTP::MLLog::logSelectorToFileWithName(WSTP::mllogselector, char const*) in libWSTPi4.a(mllog.cpp.o)
  "std::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::str() const", referenced from:
      mlopen_argv(ws_environment*, long, char**, void*, void*, int*) in libWSTPi4.a(mlopen.c.o)
      WSTP::MLLog::~MLLog() in libWSTPi4.a(mllog.cpp.o)
  "std::basic_ios<char, std::char_traits<char> >::widen(char) const", referenced from:
      feature_greeting(ws_environment*, WSLink*, device_kebab*, _queue*, feature_set*) in libWSTPi4.a(mlgreet.c.o)
      WSTP::MLExceptionMessage::print(std::ostream&) const in libWSTPi4.a(mlexceptions.cpp.o)
      WSTP::initSyncObjectDir() in libWSTPi4.a(mlplatformthreads.cpp.o)
      WSTP::MLLog::operator()(WSTP::mllogselector) in libWSTPi4.a(mllog.cpp.o)
      WSTP::MLExprLog::writeContentsToStreams(WSTP::MLExprLog::mllogdirection&, bool, std::basic_ostringstream<char, std::char_traits<char>, WSTP::MLStdAllocator<char> >&) in libWSTPi4.a(mlexprlog.cpp.o)
      WSTP::MLInterfaceContainer::PrintInterfaceContainer(std::ostream&) const in libWSTPi4.a(mlinterface.cpp.o)

If anyone has any idea how to solve the problem, please contact me. I can provide the template and make files used too.

Thanks, Francesco

11 Replies

Oh, sorry didn't see the commands you inputted. For the path, I checked already. It works on my machine too. Thank you.

How did you compile the file?

By typing make but you can see the exact 4 commands it ran in my post. The contents of f.c and f.tm were taken from above.

Another thing you may want to check is the exact path to WSTP on your system, in particular whether it has Contents/SystemFiles/Links in it or just SystemFiles/Links (for me with version 10.0 it was the latter).

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

I included -stdlib=libstdc++ but it didn't seem to work. How did you compile the file?

I think I already mentioned this but just in case: -stdlib=libstdc++ is also needed when you call the linker.

This is your code compiling without errors on my Mac using Mathematica 10.0.

/Applications/M.app/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions/wsprep f.tm -o ftm.c
cc -c -stdlib=libstdc++ -I/Applications/M.app/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions ftm.c
cc -c -stdlib=libstdc++ -I/Applications/M.app/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions f.c
cc -stdlib=libstdc++ -I/Applications/M.app/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions ftm.o f.o -L/Applications/M.app/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -lWSTPi4 -lstdc++ -framework Foundation -o f
clang: warning: libstdc++ is deprecated; move to libc++

where I changed the Makefile to contain

EXTRA_CFLAGS=-stdlib=libstdc++
EXTRA_LIBS = -lstdc++ -framework Foundation

MATHLINK_LIB = -lWSTPi4

all : f

f : ftm.o f.o
        ${CC} ${EXTRA_CFLAGS} -I${INCDIR} ftm.o f.o -L${LIBDIR} ${MATHLINK_LIB} ${EXTRA_LIBS} -o $@
Posted 8 years ago

What about adding -std=c++11 into the command?

POSTED BY: Shujie CHEN

Right now my make file is giving the following error:

"_WSMain", referenced from:
      _main in f.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

So I've been compiling executing the different commands in the make file. The -stdlib=libstdc++ is the EXTRA_CFLAGS which appears only in the second command. The error I showed earlier comes from the first command:

cc -I/Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions ftm.o f.o -L/Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit/MacOSX-x86-64/CompilerAdditions -lWSTPi4 -ls tdc++ -framework Foundation -o f

Do both -stdlib=libstdc++ and -lstdc++ appear on your linker command line?

I just made that adjustment and get an error that starts like this:

"std::__basic_file<char>::is_open() const", referenced from:
      WSTP::MLLog::logSelectorToFileWithName(WSTP::mllogselector, char const*) in libWSTPi4.a(mllog.cpp.o)
  "std::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::str() const", referenced from:
      mlopen_argv(ws_environment*, long, char**, void*, void*, int*) in libWSTPi4.a(mlopen.c.o)
  "std::basic_ios<char, std::char_traits<char> >::widen(char) const", referenced from:
      feature_greeting(ws_environment*, WSLink*, device_kebab*, _queue*, feature_set*) in libWSTPi4.a(mlgreet.c.o)
      WSTP::MLExceptionMessage::print(std::ostream&) const in libWSTPi4.a(mlexceptions.cpp.o)
      WSTP::initSyncObjectDir() in libWSTPi4.a(mlplatformthreads.cpp.o)
      WSTP::MLLog::operator()(WSTP::mllogselector) in libWSTPi4.a(mllog.cpp.o)
      WSTP::MLExprLog::writeContentsToStreams(WSTP::MLExprLog::mllogdirection&, bool, std::basic_ostringstream<char, std::char_traits<char>, WSTP::MLStdAllocator<char> >&) in libWSTPi4.a(mlexprlog.cpp.o)
      WSTP::MLInterfaceContainer::PrintInterfaceContainer(std::ostream&) const in libWSTPi4.a(mlinterface.cpp.o)

It may be the same exact one I had earlier

Prior to version 10.4, use -lstdc++ in EXTRA_LIBS to link against libstdc++ instead of libc++

(there is also an alternative set of WSTP libraries supplied if you wish to use the libc++ standard library instead).

I am using OS X (10.11.5) with Mathematica 10. I'm attaching the make file and template files. The files cannot be attached, so I just pasted their content in here.

f.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include "wstp.h"

extern int f( int i, int j);

int f(int x, int y) {
   return x+y;
}
int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
   return WSMain(argc, argv);
}

f.tm

:Begin:
:Function:      f
:Pattern:       f[x_Integer, y_Integer]
:Arguments:     {x, y}
:ArgumentTypes: {Integer, Integer}
:ReturnType:    Integer
:End:

make

# This makefile can be used to build all or some of the sample
# programs. To build all of them, use the command
# 'make all'. To build one, say addtwo, use the command
# 'make addtwo'.

WSLINKDIR = /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/SystemFiles/Links/WSTP/DeveloperKit
SYS = MacOSX-x86-64
CADDSDIR = ${WSLINKDIR}/${SYS}/CompilerAdditions

INCDIR = ${CADDSDIR}
LIBDIR = ${CADDSDIR}

WSPREP = ${CADDSDIR}/wsprep

EXTRA_CFLAGS=-stdlib=libstdc++
EXTRA_LIBS = -lc++ -framework Foundation

MATHLINK_LIB = -lWSTPi4

all : f

f : ftm.o f.o
    ${CC} -I${INCDIR} ftm.o f.o -L${LIBDIR} ${MATHLINK_LIB} ${EXTRA_LIBS} -o $@

.c.o :
    ${CC} -c ${EXTRA_CFLAGS} -I${INCDIR} $<

ftm.c : f.tm
    ${WSPREP} $? -o $@

Are you on OS X? Which version of Mathematica are you using?

You may need -stdlib=libstdc++ but that's difficult to say without the above information and the actual Makefile.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract