|
12 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 11 crashes trying to sign into the cloud

Posted 8 years ago

Don't know where else to place this so here goes. I just upgraded from Mathematica 10.4 to 11. I worked fine. Then I tried to log into the cloud and Mathematica crashed. There is something wrong with my sign in credentials apparently. The big problem is that every time I start Mathematical now, it tries to log into the cloud and the program crashes. Reinstallation does not solve the problem.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions?

POSTED BY: Greg Wilson
12 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

I haven't been able to find a specific reference to a fix for this, but I tried launching Mathematica 11.1.1.0 without AutomaticWolframCloudLogin set to False and Mathematica starts normally for me now. I still prefer login to the Wolfram Cloud manually though. Anyone else still having a problem?

POSTED BY: James Andrews
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 7 years ago

has this been fixed in 11.1.1.0 ?

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Posted 8 years ago

I have the same problem while running under Mac OS 10.10, and staying offline works. However, editing the init.m file located at ~/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/ does not fix things. You need to add the line "AutomaticWolframCloudLogin -> False," to the init file here instead ~/Library/Mathematica/Autoload/PacletManager/Configuration/FrontEnd/init_11.0.0.0.m. Annoying.

POSTED BY: Dan Andersen
Posted 8 years ago

I'm having this issue and was very glad to find this article. Disconnecting the LAN and opening via an nb file both work for me.

However, I did want to change the init.m file, but couldn't find the line "AllowDataUpdates->True,". Is there another way to know where to put the AutomaticWolframCloudLogin->False, line?

Finally, I wonder where this bug is logged? I couldn't find it under [bugs] in Mathematica support.

POSTED BY: John Bradon
Posted 8 years ago

If you don't have the "AllowDataUpdates->True," line, just add "AutomaticWolframCloudLogin->False," somewhere after "SetOptions[". I think I was being a little too specific given that there will be some differences in our installations. Inserting it within the first few lines will make it easier to find if you want to change it later.

I wasn't able to find a log entry for this problem in Mathematica support either.

Posted 8 years ago

In the Options Inspector under Global Options/System Configuration there is an option called AutomaticWolframCloudLogin. It's default setting is True. To set it to False, navigate to the 11.0_init.m file. On my Windows PC it's located in the C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Mathematica\FrontEnd directory. Don't forget to back up the original file. Then, just after the line that says "AllowDataUpdates->True," add this line "AutomaticWolframCloudLogin->False," (leave off the quote marks). That will keep Mathematica from trying to login to the Wolfram Cloud at the welcome screen and crashing. Hopefully, there will be a proper fix coming soon.

I have the same issue. My solution is to turn off wifi, start Mathematica until my session is restored, then turn wifi back on. That avoids the crash for me.

POSTED BY: Ottmar Klaas
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks. This worked also. I disconnected my LAN connection, started Mathematica, exited, connected LAN and restarted.

This is a known problem with signing-in from the Welcome screen, the developers are aware and working to address it.

For a workaround in the meantime, try starting Mathematica by double-clicking on a .nb file. Alternatively, try to open a new notebook relatively quickly (before the crash has occurred) at the Welcome screen, either by clicking on New Document or pressing Ctrl-N (or Cmd-N on Mac)

If that doesn't help, please get in touch with support@wolfram.com for further assistance.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks. That seems to work.

Posted 8 years ago

Any updates on this?

POSTED BY: Paul Buonopane

This problem has been addressed in the (very) soon to be released 11.0.1.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract