|
18 Replies
|
30 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Easy Focus Stacking with Mathematica: Live from M&M 2013

Posted 11 years ago
My colleagues from Wolfram Research and I are currently attending Microscopy and Microanalysis 2013 conference in Indianapolis. It is really fun to mingle and chat with microscopy crowd spread among huge microscopes and monitors flashing myriads of invisible worlds blown up 1000s times. There is a lot of new technology talk & show going around and our image processing functionality fits right in. I just wanted to give you one example of that.

A few times our Wolfram Booth was approached by folks wondering how easy would it be to do Focus Stacking in Mathematica. For a general reference:
Focus Stacking (aka focal plane merging or z-stacking) is a digital image processing technique, which combines multiple images taken at different focus distances to give a resulting image with a greater depth of field than any of the individual source images. Focus stacking can be used in any situation where individual images have a very shallow depth of field; macro photography and optical microscopy are two typical examples. ~ Wikipedia
Our manager of Image Processing Team, Shadi Ashnai, is right here with us at the conference and she worked out an example of focus stacking in a matter of minutes. She kindly agreed to explain it in detail below.
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
18 Replies
POSTED BY: Marcelo De Cicco

Mathematica 10.2 has a new function for focus stacking called ImageFocusCombine. For now this is only one method implementation, with an option for choosing between speed and quality. Eventually, we will include more methods.

POSTED BY: Shadi Ashnai

Marcelo, I read your post but all files you linked to are gone. It is possible to attach files to Community posts. Could you please edit your post and attach small samples?

Dear Vitaliy,

The files are too large, so I share again their links.

Please, any problem let me know.

Salute!

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Tom Sherlock

Tom,

Thanks! I implemented the code and worked fine!

I tried using fit format, and the result was even better. As the following:

First I converted the avi file to fit file , using iris software (freeware), and then imported them -

Table[Import[
       "H:\\Images\\FitsConvert\\" <> ToString[i] <> ".fit"], {i, 1, 
       172}]; (*yes, I know there is much better code, but when importing the files , they came in a disorganized list!*)
    imagLights = #[[1]] & /@ %;
images = ImageTake[#, 560] & /@ %;

(Here I did a modification in the algorithm´s Tom, for grayscale)

ImageMeanFlat[imageList_List] := Module[{sepList}, sepList = imageList;
      Image[Mean[Map[ImageData, Map[# &, sepList]]]]]

I did not use any master dark, so :

imagFinal = ImageMeanFlat[images];
Export["H:\\Images\\ResultFinal\\imagtestePet1_a.bmp", %]

And after adjusting contrast and brightness:

enter image description here

Attachments:

Dear Tom,

I tried your code, but the output is a list like that:

{              ,                   ,                  , etc...}

EDIT1:

In[20]:= Internal`$VideoEncodings

Out[20]= {"Animação", "BMP", "Cinepak", "DVCPRO - PAL", "DV/DVCPRO - \
NTSC", "DV - PAL", "Elementos Gráficos", "Foto - JPEG", "H.261", \
"H.263", "JPEG 2000", "Motion JPEG A", "Motion JPEG B", "MPEG-4 \
Video", "Nenhum", "Planar RGB", "PNG", "Sorenson Video", "TGA", \
"TIFF", "Uncompressed", "Vídeo", "Vídeo Componente"}

In[21]:= Import["D:\\Dropbox\\Public\\M20150524_223758_PET_1.avi", \
"VideoEncoding"]

Out[21]= "YUV"

I just checked your video and it has YUV encoding, and I wasn't able to import it directly. I did open it up in vdub and then saved it right back out. The encoding now reads as "uncompessed" and the above Import line does import it directly.

Tom,

I will look forward to what you can do and wouid be very happy to be a tester for anything you create.   I have quite a few sets of images that I did not get the other software to process well and can test with.   I do both tracked and untracked imaging with camera and telescopes.   I have only been at it for nine months and have wanted to use Mathematica for the process.   My guess is that are a lot of astrophotography folks who would be interested.   I give talks at the local astronomy clubs periodically and I think they would be very interested in a presentation on this at some point.
Like!  This is focus stacking for two images.  Can anyone do it for n_/;And[n>2,IntegerQ]
POSTED BY: Seth Chandler
Seth, I am lucky enough to understand your programing metaphors because I speak (code?) the same language ;-) Actually it is very easy to apply Shadi's code for a larger set of images. The procedure above treated images as independent. So if you apply it as it is to a larger set - it will just work. 
Steven, both astro stacking and post processing of stacked images in Mathematica are doable and easy. We once prototyped such a program in Mathematica with an astronomer colleague, Tom Sherlock, who is also the author of this blog post: "Fixing Bad Astrophotography Using Mathematica 8 and Advanced Image Deconvolution"

A quick list of steps to take for stacking (as far as I remember) were:
1. increase brightness of images (ImageAdd or ImageAdjust)
2. align images (ImageAlign)
3. reverse step 1 (ImageSubtract or ImageAdjust)
4. add images together (Fold of ImageAdd)

If needed, I can provide you the exact steps once I am back to the office from the M&M conference.

Also, for post processing of images, please look at some demonstrations or documentation examples like:
- Adjusting RGB Color of Image
- Image Deconvolution
This is great.  Would it be possible to devise a stacking system for astrophotography in Mathematica similar to or better than the DeepSkyStacker or Registax programs?
Steven,

I'm working on a blog post to describe this process.  It works similarly to Deep Sky Stacker and Registax, but it does the sub-frame alignments automatically. Right now I'm using it to reduce noise in my images since I can't get my scope to track accurately without guiding for more than about 1 minute for each sub-frame, rather than using it to combine parts from images.  However, Shadi's technique might be useful to build images of galaxies because their dynamic range is so great.
Let’s import an image from the Wikipedia page about Focus Stacking. Note that the first and second image parts are out-of-focus: the head or tail of the fly. The goal is to get a result comparable to the 3rd image part below where all in-focus areas are merged in single crispy image.
i = Import["http://goo.gl/xMThiZ"]

Because it is one large image, we start by grabbing first 2 images to process further.
images = {i1, i22} = Most@Flatten@ImagePartition[i, {{Scaled[1/3]}, Scaled[1]}]

Next we need to align images perfectly so no artifacts will appear during merging
i2 = RemoveAlphaChannel@ImageAlign[i1, i22];
Now if we blur images and find difference with original we can find sharper domains
list = ImageAdjust@ImageDifference[Blur[#, 5], #] & /@ {i1, i2}

Having that we make masks covering those domains
masks = FillingTransform@Dilation[Binarize[#], 1] & /@ list

And use those masks to set an alpha (transparency) channel in the images
list2 = MapThread[SetAlphaChannel, {{i1, i2}, masks}]

And now we can compose these with original to get complete-in-focus image. And after slight sharpening, voila, as crispy as we can get it. Note how in this image both head and tail of the fly are sharp.
ImageCompose[i1, ImageCompose @@ list2] // Sharpen

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract