Message Boards Message Boards

Does Wolfram Language/Mathematica have the following features?

Posted 8 years ago

Hello everyone. My name is Ivano Arrighetta and I'm Italian. I would like to know more about Mathematica, and in detail:

1. Can it add 3D modifyers? (like twist, taper, bend, etc)
  2. Can it capture audio from a microphone?
  3. Can it do speech recognition?
  4. Can it render a MIDI file to a sound file?
  5. Can it be used with a MIDI controller?
  6. Can a raster image be inserted in a video?
  7. Can it mux or demux video?
  8. Can it cut and join video?
  9. Can it do video compositing? (like adding a filter to a whole video)
  10. Can it embed subtitles?

Thanks in advance for any help. Bye, Ivano.

POSTED BY: Ivano Arrighetta
22 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Being that your list is so extensive it might be a daunting task to add a bit of 'discussion' to each item. So, after consideration, I withdraw the suggestion. Originally, my thought was that it would be nice to read an overview of the manner in which Mathematica meets each of your requirements.

Ciao, David

POSTED BY: David Fuller

I guess the most interesting field for me is music. But I don't undertake others.

I already tryed Processing, but I think it's poor for art generation, and the addons are not always cross platform.

In fact I'm using Wolfram cloud on Linux.

As for your last sentence, the questions are grouped by software. What do you suggest me to do in order to sort them?

Thanks in advance.

Bye, Ivano.

P.S.: Edit: I indeed found the link you're posted.

Posted 8 years ago

Ah, one more thing: Perhaps you should arrange the answers you found in an easily read format so that others may benefit from the effort that you put into this. I, for one, would like to see the results, especially if they are formatted in a way that will educate and inform me.

Ciao, Dave

Posted 8 years ago

Hi Ivano,

First, by particles, did you have something like this in mind?

Simulate Thousands of Particles in Real Time

Second, that is quite an ambitious list of things to accomplish from the perspective of art ( or anything else for that matter ). Let me followup with another question/suggestion: what of that list do you have as your most immediate interest? If you had to give a friend an example of your art within a short amount of time, what would it be?

Additionally, since generative art seems to be developing as a hot topic, have you looked at systems such as Processing? As I mentioned before, its likely that you will leverage several tools. A friend of mine who is an artist swears by Processing, Mathematica, and Fortran (Fortran still seems to be the King of scientific computing for some reason) You can use Mathematica for 'Heavy Lifting' and Processing for its Artist friendly focus. Plus, with the cloud, if not already, there shall be some way to integrate the two very tightly.

There is a lot that shows up Mathematica related sites that can be considered Art. Take a look at the HairyStarFish post (just search for it). Merely altering the order of operations a bit to (2/3)^k)^t ends up creating a 'Baboon in a Balloon'. Ink blot tests are always fun.

Good Luck!

Never mind, I found this is possible on Google

Dear Dave, thanks for having the time to write this.

I would like to use mathematica for generative art in image processing, vector graphics, 3d modeling, audio processing and video editing.

I'm sorry I didn't be clear, I hope this will clean things up.

Just to know, I searched the documentation for particles, but I found nothing. Can mathematica simulate particle systems?

Posted 8 years ago

Ivano,

As Sander rather concisely said, its a bit difficult to advise you when your questions cannot be put in the context of an eventual goal that you would like to accomplish. i'm sure that if you were to take a few moments and write down some information about the projects you'd like to do, that someone here shall be able to advise you. Its easy to say you wish to use it for Art, yet what in what sense of Art exactly does that mean? Fractals, Cellular Automata, Image Processing, Show Control, etc.?

As you can see as you read further, I put some time into writing this answer for you; for all of us here, please help us to help you by doing the same.

You can do a search on using the terms Mathematica, Wolfram, and Art to find interesting articles such as this one by the [Wolfram Blog Team Creating Escher-Inspired Art with Mathematica][1] Indeed, just scan the Wolfram and WolframAlpha blogs and you'll find a number of articles having to do with Mathematica's impact on the Art World, both locally and Internationally. And, since i saw the exhibit in the National Science Museum in London, I also seem to recall an article some place about generating patterns in Mathematica for crocheting works depicting non-Euclidean geometries. Just try it, you'll see a number of articles out there.

On the iBooks store there is a short book covering visualization with Mathematica. i cannot recall if its free or not yet I will say that its a very pretty book. Finally, the Wolfram Demonstrations project is the place to go to see some of what is possible.

In general, questions like yours are pretty much Yes when considering most of todays programming languages. However, Mathematica makes it quick for you to envision and test some very complex things in a very few lines of code. Often times, when moving at the speed of todays 'Art' you need this 'rapid prototyping' simply because, without such, you can't even decide if what you wish to do is possible at all.

Realistically, regardless of whether you decided to leverage Mathematica or not, you absolutely will use other languages and technologies. There are no silver bullets per se.

If you have an interest for generative art, then Mathematica is a great system for you because it excels at all things having to do with 'The Book'. And, If you get that reference, then Mathematica is definitely, definitely for you :-) Learning and using it is far better than waking up one day to an unfamiliar ceiling (Another reference specifically for Fans of Japanese media arts[i.e. Anime]).

Ciao, Dave

P.S.: For the record, I'm using Mathematica cloud free, but I'm still a newbie. I began yesterday.

Yes, it was graphicsgroup. Thanks.

Ah, excuse me, one last question:

Can a graphic object be set as parent to another?

That question does not make any sense to me, please first use Wolfram Language. Either using Mathematica or freely online. You might mean GraphicsGroup, Inset, or Show, but your question as of now does not make much sense....

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Thanks a lot for your help. I guess we can close the thread.

I saw your link, but that's not what I meant.

My final goal (the big picture) is described at http://bisentertainment.altervista.org/great-project.html

by the way, the goal itself is to use Mathematica to produce art.

Well, it can do it as well with arbitrary regions or graphics.

In truth I found answers in the documentation, I guessed no to some questions because I found nothing. By the way, do you know if is it possible to do boolean operations with graphics? (like intersect, join, substract, etc).

Yes that is possible:

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ImageCompose.html

all the Duff-porter operator are there.

What is your final goal? This seems rather random questions without much purpose...

Just for the record, here is the final answer to my questions:

1) Can it do ASCII-Art (no), OCR (yes), Trace (no)?

2) Can a 2D surface be extruded? (no)

3) Can it add 3D modifyers? (like twist, taper, bend, etc) (no)

4) Can it cut and join audio? (no)

5) Can it do speech recognition? (no)

6) Can it render a MIDI file to a sound file? (no)

7) Can it be used with a MIDI controller? (no)

8) Can it mux or demux video? (no)

9) Can it embed subtitles? (no)

All the other questions answered yes, you can see the full list at http://bisentertainment.altervista.org/great-project.html

What makes you think it can't cut and join audio, because it can. Moreover, you can also extrude surface. Twist, taper and bend with a bit of effort. It can import MIDI files and export them as e.g. wav. I'm fairly positive it can connect to midi controllers... It can also do ASCII-art with some lines of code.

But to be honest, this is a rather stupid thread.... With such an elaborate documentation all these questions can easily be found...

I did some search in internet and the wolfram documentation, I found nothing.

So, I guess the answer of the above is no for everything.

This is ok, I found answered yes to 38 more questions, no one is perfect.

Thanks anyhow.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

2,4,5: no(t yet). But you could call external libraries that specialize in these kind of stuff very easily.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract