Message Boards Message Boards

Option to Reset GPU-Setup or incompatibility?

For several days I have worked with NetChain and NetTrain using the GPU with NetTrain. Everything runs quite well on my system and the results are impressing (performance). My system is equipped with two NVIDIA Titan Cards (linked together). Yesterday it seems like I have killed one of these Cards. Today I have purchased two new GTX 1080 (not Titans, but much more faster than my 4 year old first generation Titans). I have completely removed the drivers reinstalled everything and my computer runs faster than before (with 5 monitors attached). GPU-Test programs are running quite well showing the correct information (tests are showing that the new GTX 1080 are much more faster than my old Titans) BUT NetTrain (using GPU) now didn't work. While training, it shows a flat line for batch loss and round loss (nothing changed on the programs). And the result is an untrained net that gives untrained answers. Additionally I have completely uninstalled Mathematica 11 and I have deleted all files according to Mathematica, installed Mathematica completely new and tried it again. Problem is the same, NetTrain using GPU didn't work. It didn't crash, it simply did not learn. If I install CUDALink Mathematica shows correct answers (CUDA exists and Mathematica shows a great amount of GPU-Information). Only NetTrain didn't work (same code works using CPU). For me there are two options: 1) there are some kind of GPU-setup-information stored for NetTrain and I have not removed these information and it didn't work because the now non-existing Titans are used instead of the new 1080 2) GTX 1080 are not supported Any suggestions are highly appreciated, because it's boring using CPU-computing on a computer that's equiped with such an amount of GPU-power. Thanks for answers .

POSTED BY: Andre Koppel
3 Replies

Today I have installed the new 11.0.1 Update. The update didn't solve the problem. GTX 1080 and familiar Cuda Cards didn't play with Mathematica.

Andre -- This sounds like the problem I reported a while back with the 1080. See Stefan's reply to my post on it in this group. Apparently there is an issue with the versions of CUDA & cuDNN that M11 uses on the 1080, so it appears we'll have to wait until 11.1. Obvious bummer since the 1080 is such an awesome card (I've fallen back to a 970, but it has less than half the RAM, among other limitations).

POSTED BY: David Cardinal

You are right, seems to be the same problem. For me this really means I have to wait because I can't use my old Titans (because one of them are broken) and I did not like to purchase additional cards until 11.1. Is there any information about an availability date for 11.1? Using CPU training is boring (even with my extreme CPU)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract