View groups...
Share this post:

Reproducible crash on macOS 10.12 Sierra

Posted 8 years ago

In Mathematica 11.0.0.0 on macOS 10.12 Sierra:

1. load attached file "macOS bug.nb"
  2. scroll to bottom of notebook
  3. with mouse, click and drag on the graphic, attempting to rotate it

Keep doing #3 until you see random graphic bits in horizontal streaks on your monitor, or your computer seizes up or kernel panics.

While there is certainly a macOS bug here that allows the kernel panic, Mathematica may be writing to bad memory locations which the OS fails to trap. This repros 100% for me.

I'm reporting this here in hope Staff will pass it to your QA team (my 30 days support expired long ago).

Attachments:
POSTED BY: hugh winkler
15 Replies

Wolfram Community is really in need of some bugfixing. It is very common that I receive an email about new messages, but when I go to the website, they just don't show up. This is what happened today, but I decided to respond to Murray anyway. I typed up an answer, but what actually got posted was Murray's original message.

This doesn't look good for me so I wanted to make it clear that it's a glitch of the website.

This has happened before. It really really should be fixed. The very slow loading times should also be fixed.

I hope that this time the text I actually typed gets posted. I logged in from a different browser, just in case.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát

Does the "Show Fonts" problem persist after the mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 update?

I asked first!

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg

Does the "Show Fonts" problem persist after the mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 update?

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg

Short answer is that "Show Fonts" is not selectable (greyed out) in Mathematica 11.0.1 under macOS 10.12.1.

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
Posted 8 years ago

After upgrading to 11.0.1, "macOS bug 2.nb" no longer causes the issue.

(Wolfram support replied they could not repro the behavior -- I wondered whether they used a MBP with Intel GPU).

However, the new attached file "macOS bug 3.nb" even more readily causes a kernel panic. On my early 2015 MacBook Pro 13 (Intel Iris 6100), all you have to do is scroll to the bottom of the document to reveal the ListDensityPlot3D. Soon after I scroll it into view, I reliably get a kernel panic.

Attachments:

Just downloaded and installed Mathematica 11.0.1.

The issue rendering graphics appears to be fixed. The problem with the font panel has not -- although the menu item is now dimmed out. (You can still cause a crash by clicking on the Font button in the formatting toolbar if you are using it.

Apparently, the problem with the font panel is due to changes with the Apple API, so it may take a while to resolve.

I'm particularly interested in v9.0.1, 10.0, 10.3.1 and 10.4.1.

While past releases will not be officially called compatible with Sierra, they've all been fine in my daily use (excluding the font panel crash).

I am not aware of any Sierra-specific OpenGL regressions. These usually have more to do with the underlying graphics hardware than anything else so I would expect that, on the same machine, 3D graphics should work about the same (or better, for example the Intel graphics problem a number of people ran into in 11.0 should be addressed in 11.0.1) as in previous OS X versions.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

So far this discussion has been specifically about M11.0.0. What about earlier versions? Do they work on Sierra? Do people experience the two main issues: (1) Graphics3D problems (2) crash when invoking the font selector?

I'm particularly interested in v9.0.1, 10.0, 10.3.1 and 10.4.1.

Any serious breakage in these versions (such as Graphics3D crash with no workaround—the font selector I can live without) would be a dealbreaker for me, and I wouldn't upgrade to Sierra at all.

There is also an issue with the font panel in Mathematica 11 under macOS Sierra. If you access the panel (Show Fonts), Mathematica 11.0 crashes. The beta (11.0.1) that fixes the graphics issue has that menu item dimmed out. According to tech support, this is a non-trivial problem. (The public beta for macOS Sierra does not fix the problem.)

If you need this functionality, I would hold off upgrading to macOS Sierra until this problem is resolved. Unfortunately, I already upgraded both my macs. Fortunately, I won't be needing to create new style sheets, etc. for a while.

So for those of us who still haven't upgraded to Sierra, the recommendation is to wait until M 11.0.1 comes out? Is there an estimated release date?

Posted 8 years ago

The previous attachment had incorrect contents. I'm now attaching the correct repro case file, "macOS bug 2.nb". There's nothing in it but a ListPlot3D graphic. Manipulate it with your mouse, and you will have to reboot your computer.

Attachments:

It may have something to do with another discussion we had some time ago: Flickering desktop when working on OSX with MMA 11.0.0

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

This issue seems to be resolved with beta release 11.0.1.0 on macOS 10.12 Sierra. I was one of several people that reported the previous flickering desktop issue on 2016 MacBook and so received the pre-release version to test.

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract