Message Boards Message Boards

Avoid Avira antivirus to quarantine 32000 Mathematica 11.0 files?

Posted 8 years ago

Hi all.

I turned on my computer this morning, and instantly got an Avira alert saying a threat has been detected and that some files had been quarantined.I go into the Avira quarantine section and find 32,000 files there, all from the wolfram/mathematica folder on my computer. I click on the mathematica shortcut on my computer and get a pop-up windows saying "The item 'Mathematica.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been moved or changed, do you want to delete the shortcut?"

So it looks like I will have to reinstall Mathematica 11 (will probably have trouble uninstalling it since the files were moved by the Antivirus).

Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: Avira and Mathematica 11 had previously coexisted happily with no problems. It all started when I turned on my computer today.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: D P
12 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

it worked for me to. Thanks Kevin!

POSTED BY: Doron Cohen
Posted 8 years ago

OK, I got things back (I think/hope) eventually.

I'm on Windows 8.1 and had 30000+ files in quarantine.

I disabled UAC completely.

In batches of about 600-800 a time I asked the files to be rescan-ed (F2). More at a time did not seem possible.

Once they were all done I restored (F3) all files to original location, again in batches. In this case it looks like I could have done them all at once. But I did in batches.

Then I deleted them all from the quarantine directory, in my case C:\ProgramData\Avira\Antivirus\INFECTED

And re-enabled UAC

Mathematica 11 works for me.

POSTED BY: Kevin Maguire
Posted 8 years ago

I feel this is a morally wrong solution, avira not coming back till they fix this.

POSTED BY: Al Guy
Posted 8 years ago

Not sure. And i dont get answers from Avira costumers service as well.. After using Avira for few years I think its time to say goodbye.. :(

Posted 8 years ago

Hi stefan - isent you the log file to the mail. Hi Guy - by uninstalling avira did you recover the deleted files or you had to install them again?

Posted 8 years ago

There is no way to recover the deleted files. Only way to get Mathematica back is to reinstall.

Posted 8 years ago

No, I couldn't, so I just reinstalled mathematica. But then the question is what happened with the registry when avira quarantined the files? Did it remove mathematica from registry? Did it really thorougly clean it? It feels like something was left behind as my mathematica system settings don't seem to stick.

Posted 8 years ago

Annoying indeed, ruined my mathematica, had to uninstall avira.

Posted 8 years ago

Hi,

I have the same issue with Cubase and Wavelab files. few hours ago Avira removed 6050 of my files to quarentine. what can be done? in order to restore I need to click "ok" for avira message 6050 times (so annoying!)

Thanks Doron

I am very sorry for the false positives!

Can you please send me your Avira logs (located in c:\ProgramData\Avira\Antivirus\LOGFILES) and 3-5 of the quarantined files (c:\ProgramData\Avira\Antivirus\INFECTED\ - .qua files) to

heuristik2@antivir.de

?

Also I need the full path where all those "suspicious file" detections are/were located.

Regards, Stefan Kurtzhals

POSTED BY: Stefan Kurtzhals
Posted 8 years ago

Hi Stefan,

I uninstalled Avira, so am not able to provide the requested files, but perhaps one of the other people here can do it for you.

Posted 8 years ago

Yep, got the same this morning. CDF Player directory/files are also "suspicious" and quarantined.

Tried to "restore" all the files, but looks like that means clicking "OK" and then "Yes, I'm sure" 30000+ times.

Tis surely an Avira issue, but a very annoying one.

K

POSTED BY: Kevin Maguire
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract