Message Boards Message Boards

Do successive Boolean operations on the same object? graphic, plot, mesh,..

Posted 8 years ago

With Mathematica’s variety of 3D graphics & plots, I need a guide to understand how to apply boolean operations? My immediate interest is in building complex shapes. I have had success with 'Cuboids' & 'RegionDifference', in subtracting one shape from another. I have also succeeded (thanks to Sanders Huisman’s suggestions) in subtracting one RegionPlot3d graphic from another RegionPlot3d graphic. But what about subtracting a RegionPlot3d graphic from a Cuboid? Can you do successive Boolean operations on the same object (graphic, plot, mesh, region etc.)? Is coercion and/or extraction of data from a 3D object, necessary to add, subtract, or intersect objects? With all the ways to create graphics and plots, what can and what cannot be done? My goal is to create 3d shapes to use in 3D printers.

A consolidation of this information would be extremely useful.

POSTED BY: Rick Tschudin

RegionPlot3d produces a Graphics3D expression. You want to ask, can I do boolean operations on Graphics3D operations? The answer is "no".

The newer MeshRegion expressions have better support for this, but only in 2D it seems. For example, MeshRegion does not support Intersection with 3D regions.

So, boolean operations on 3D regions are something you can do with ImplicitRegion or RegionPlot3D.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract