Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Why is Carbon and other elements (not available) in StoppingPowerData?

Posted 8 years ago

I am trying to look up StoppingPowerData for a number of elements and while this snippet works for several I have tried (Aluminum, Lead, Iron for example), I get a result of (not available), but no error, when I try with others, such as Carbon. I've tried specifying an isotope of Carbon as well as different incoming particles and different energies.

StoppingPowerData[Entity["Element", "Carbon"], 
{"Particle" -> "Proton", "Energy" -> Quantity[500, "Kiloelectronvolts"]}, "LinearStoppingPower"]

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Alex Logsdon
3 Replies

This is what the result Missing["NotAvailable"] result indicates. It means we do not have the data for those inputs. I suppose you could programmatically check substance, particle, property combinations to find the gaps. There may be some difficulties with ensuring you remain within the valid energy range but StoppingPowerData will alert you via a StoppingPowerData::orng message in those cases.

POSTED BY: Jason Martinez
Posted 8 years ago

I was afraid that was the case. Is there a way to extract a list of what properties are available for use for each entity?

POSTED BY: Alex Logsdon

Unfortunately StoppingPowerData does not currently include data for proton impacts on carbon. As you've notice data for that element is rather limited at the moment. We are always expanding our capabilities and we will work to add more data to cover this and other substances in the future.

POSTED BY: Jason Martinez
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract