|
8 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Workbench now compatible with Wolfram Language and Mathematica 10 and 11

Posted 8 years ago

A new Wolfram Workbench plugin is now available for free to everyone writing Wolfram Language code with one of Wolfram's desktop products.

Workbench is an Eclipse plugin that provides code editing, navigation and project management tools for enterprise-class development and deployment. It is specialized for the Wolfram Language, Mathematica and other Wolfram products and technologies.

For product information and to download Wolfram Workbench, visit: http://www.wolfram.com/workbench

POSTED BY: Emily Suess
8 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

@martijn Thanks for sharing your experience. To make the issue clearer, I had created a new discussion: https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2167323 I've put a brief remark there.

POSTED BY: Masso Chailly
Posted 3 years ago

@Georege Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure their internal version is compatible with v12.2. I hope they release a public update soon.

@Mike Interesting (and hopeful) that it works for you. Your environment seems similar to mine; macOS Bug Sur, Workbench v10.1.822, Mathematica v12.2 on iMac Pro (2017); No M1 chip. I guess it is just Mathematica compatibility issues as v12.2 received some big changes. Here I detail the symptoms:

1. When I try to build an application (project), somehow Mathematica fails to get DocumentationAssets`. Because of this failure, all subsequent build procedures are broken. (For your reference, below I attach a file containing the console message.)

2. Some functions (buttons) on the DocumentationTools palette work but others don't. For example, "Link To Guide" button throws out these error messages:

Part::partw: Part 1 of {} does not exist.
    StringReplace::strse: String or list of strings expected at position 1 in StringReplace[{}[[1]],Heading->].
    Part::partw: Part 1 of {} does not exist.
    StringReplace::strse: String or list of strings expected at position 1 in StringReplace[{}[[1]],Heading->].

Attachments:

I had the same problem. Got a new laptop, reinstalled everything including eclipse and workbench. Got my projects from git, and assumed I could rebuild my projects, which was not the case.

I also came across your previous post

being very annoyed I started to dig a bit. What I noticed was that the documentation pallet was not available in 12.2 unless I started Mathematica from eclips and the errors pointed to the lack of these tools. In the MathematicaSources of workbench the DocumentationTools and DocumentationBuild were present.

enter image description here

The build calls the system installation of Mathematica. So I copied these resources to the $BaseDirecotrory/applications of Mathematica and the build worked again. It also makes the documentation tools available again in the palettes.

Still trying to figure out some other issues with Workbench. One of the things that bug me most is that the documentation only finds functions in .m files while the preferred extension has been .wl for a while now.

Also when building HTML documentation for my website i have to run a very elaborate script to fix all the links and css styles.

Mathematica and workbench+eclipse have been the way I work for a very long time. In all these years workbench has only seen very few improvements. To be able to provide well-documented and integrated packages in Mathematica support and adequate documentation for this should definitely increase. Most of the things i learned about workbench and packages has been via nonofficial sources

POSTED BY: Martijn Froeling

Thanks very much. Copying these resources into the $BaseDirectory/applications folder also made the build process work again. At least in my case.

Posted 3 years ago

I'm using Workbench on a Mac with 12.2.

I haven't run into any issues, though I am not using all of the features.

POSTED BY: Mike Besso

Given that Workbench is used extensively internally to Wolfram Research (various personal communications over the years), it is highly likely that there is a version of Workbench somewhere that works with 12.2.

I would not hold my breath that it would be 'native' on Apple Silicon, but it should work under Rosetta II, assuming that Eclipse does.

Possibly, someone at Wolfram will see these posts, and find the right people to release an update "for the rest of us".

Posted 3 years ago

It seems that Workbench has got outdated again by Mathematica v12.2. Build just fails, and DocoumentationTools palette does not work properly. Has anybody else tried Workbench with Mathematica v12.2? I contacted WRI, but no "appropriate" answer yet (just one guy says he has forwarded my report to developers).

Congratulations ! Finally a public update ! Workbench is really crucial for big projects. The debugger is really useful. It's nice that the plugin is free, this will encourage people to work on bigger projects with Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Faysal Aberkane
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract