Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Obtain more primes than Prime[n] offers?

Posted 1 year ago
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

I am working with recursive prime sequences of the form

Prime[Prime[Prime[Prime[n]]]]

Unfortunately, the values get large fast, and the Prime[n] function tops out at around Prime[8trillion]. enter image description here

Is there a way to get more primes, such as a Mathematica package or? I haven't been able to find any complete lists of primes larger than this. Ideally, I need a complete list of primes up to Prime[10^100] or so.

I suppose I could let a Sieve of Eratosthenes run, and dump primes to a text file, but I'm guessing that would take... months or years to get to Prime[10^100]? Any advice is appreciated.

2 Replies

Your guess is off by a bit...

Use the Prime Number Theorem to estimate how many primes are in the set of integers up to 10^100. Then do any of the following.

(1) Estimate how long to store that sequence, assuming you can store one per chip cycle, using say 10^5 chips each operating at 10^12 cycles per second.

(2) Compare the number to estimated atoms in the universe.

(3) Rethink the computation you are doing to see if there is a variant that is computationally feasible. The one stated is not.

Posted 1 year ago

Thanks Daniel. Kind of a silly question in retrospect. I will use an estimating function for the time being, such as enter image description here (DasGupta 2005)

If anyone has a more accurate one, I'm all ears.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract