Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Best 250 functions that beginners should know?

Posted 8 years ago

Hi, Noob here just starting to learn Mathematica. I decided to write a how-to guide for high school students as a project to help me use mma instead of just reading about it...

I have a first draft that is obviously written by someone learning-by-doing and my question to the community is:

What 200-odd functions would you recommend to a high school student to get them as productive as possible writing lab reports and investigating subject topics?

Note: I'm not talking about massively recursive pure functions hacking the Global rule base or anything - literally useful functions that come standard that you think students should know right off the top of their head. For instance: ListPlot, Plot, Integrate, D, RandomInteger, Table, Select etc coupled with really basic usr-function definitions. A good example is using Transpose to turn 2 lists of x and y data into a single list of {x,y} data ready for a ListPlot function - super easy if you know Transpose, almost impossible to guess if you don't! I'm up to about 50 which I think is a good v1 hurdle - I'd like to make v2 the next 200-odd. If you care to make a suggestion, drop a couple in the Google form link below:

https://goo.gl/forms/sfs4PdKIBNzu4HN83

P.S. i also asked at Stack Exchange but the question was put on hold since it was 'opinion based'. Of course it's opinion based! I'm looking for some hints on how to upskill from people that already know!

P.P.S. if anyone is interested I could flip them a copy of my noob guide v1

POSTED BY: Joe Gamman
6 Replies

Cool project! I haven't looked at your book yet, but let me just throw out an idea anyway: Wolfram Language is sufficiently high-level that you'll start learning highly domain-specific functions very early on.

Or in other words: What you do just a few hours into your learning journey may already depend on what you're interested in creating. You might want to solve integrals, or create a game, or do comparative text analysis for history class - these different paths will diverge very quickly. 250 common beginner functions seems like a very large number to me - although 50 is reasonable, paired with an introduction to the Documentation Center.

Have you considered featuring a very incomplete selection of highly diverse example topics in such a way that students can extrapolate an approach to their personal field of interest from that?

(Disclaimer: I'm not a qualified educator.)

POSTED BY: Bianca Eifert
Posted 8 years ago

Hi Bianca,

It's clearer in the booklet but this project is aiming to make high school students productive with mms before they get to university to do a STEM degree - that is their motivation ;-) I agree that at a certain point the will (hopefully) find their own muse and dig deep into a sub-topic somewhere. My target audience is a young person that wants to use mma as their super-power at uni to give them the head space they need to deal with the rest of the chaos that the change from school to uni entails.

For that reason, my immediate objective is to get a typical STEM student productive for a STEM degree as fast as possible without knowing what subject they will end up taking higher level courses in. that drives my decision to focus mainly on built-in functions - I suspect that with 200-250 of these under their belt, they'll be both able to churn out lab reports and assignments, investigate new concepts and are well placed to move into functional programming if and when they need to.

Hi Joe,

that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation! I actually started reading your booklet a bit (probably won't have time for the whole thing right now, sorry). It seems very approachable and non-frightening to me, for whatever that's worth. (And also, between us chemists... that's a great choice for a first chapter.)

POSTED BY: Bianca Eifert

Hello Joe, I am interested in your noob guide, Thanks!

POSTED BY: Steven Stadler
Posted 8 years ago

Cool - dumped a pdf on Google at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzuyQLmQu7AwMXNTb01HdWpReW8

Constructive comments welcome - my request for suggestions hasn't cracked double figures...

Also note, the first couple chapters already are wince inducing but that's the point - the objective is to show that everyone sucks when they start. Book 2 will be better and hopefully Book 3 will be workaday credible (i might even try and figure out how to get it printed on demand as a real book! maybe make some $$ ;-)

Welcome to Wolfram Community, @Joe Gamman Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing and taking a creative approach! You can attach files to the posts. And actually it would be much more interesting to see the original Mathematica notebook instead of PDF, as one cannot evaluate and compute code in PDF.

I recommend reading and understanding the rules of the forum: http://wolfr.am/READ-1ST

It is very important to put details in your profile for people to understand where you are coming from, to put your discussions in the meaningful setting of your background. Please consider updating your profile.

There are actually quite a few people who try to take a similar honorable educational action. Let me give you an example. @Jonathan Kogan started his own series of WL video tutorials for beginners. And he set his work very clearly in his professional background.

I suggest you do the same by filling out details of your profile and attaching Wolfram Language notebooks so members of this forum can enjoy fully your wonderful work.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract