Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Typeset subscripts and superscripts for matrix transformation notation?

Posted 8 years ago

Writing about matrixes used in translating between coordinate systems requires combinations of subscripts and superscripts on both the left and right side of the matrix name. e.g. right subscript on a transformation matrix indicates the departure coordinate frame, left superscript indicates the destination coordinate frame, left subscript indicate the frame that the angular vector is measure in, etc. How would I typeset that in Mathematica? Is there a way to add templates for each possible combination, like the ones in the typesetting palette? It would be great if these could also be used as symbols in calculations

POSTED BY: Brian Catlin
3 Replies

All the best

:)

Posted 8 years ago

Thank you Yehuda! I had no idea that those elements could be mixed that way. It would be nice if there were a keyboard shortcut for a template that had all four sub/super script positions, but this will allow me to continue

POSTED BY: Brian Catlin

I hope that the attached notebook will help you.

You need to be aware that there are invisible characters in the typesetting systems. The idea is the same as performed in LaTeX and practically works the same.

BTW, I do not generate templates, since I do not need them too much, but there are instructions in the documentation. I find manual typing using the keyboard much faster than leaving the keyboard and holding the mouse (an old-fashioned guy).

HTH

yehuda

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract