Message Boards Message Boards

Get the entirety of a W|A result ouput in plaintext?

Posted 7 years ago

I am trying to get a list of language fractions of Papua New Guinea, which the site informs me has 797 entries. However, it will not load more entries than roughly 300 (by clicking the "more" button) and just sit there doing nothing but having three squares change sizes for over half an hour. Clicking the "total" button at the end of the list just gets me a very large and very useless (.png, I think) image of the list itself. Downloading the dataset gets me an even more useless .xls file, which only has the names of the languages

34q5tegfas.

Opening the code and running it gets me the most useless output of all:

EntityValue: Unable to download data. Some or all results may be missing.

456yfgdsas

Of course, all results are missing. All I want is just a plaintext list with all 797 values (in the form language (percent), like it is given in the usual plaintext output), but Wolfram Alpha has seemed to fight me every step of the way. I would like this dataset so I can then organize in Word and Excel to input into a third-party heatmap program to give me a map of the density and distribution of different language subfamilies. Seeing as this is for a final project which hinges on this dataset alone, I'd like to find a way to get what I'd like pretty quickly.

POSTED BY: Anonnie Mouse
4 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

I am already a pro subscriber, it changes absolutely nothing.

Is there a way to make it change the number of outputs it gives me in order to do it piecewise, like, say, outputting 1-100, then 101-201, etc. until I have the full list?

Posted 7 years ago

Going to

free cloud link

clicking on "Create A New Notebook", entering

CountryData["UnitedStates","LanguagesFractions"]

in the page, clicking on Evaluate on the bar above the page and then clicking Evaluate Cells does appear to provide the complete list of languages and the fractions.

Repeating that with

CountryData["PapuaNewGuinea","LanguagesFractions"]

results in "The Wolfram Engine has been terminated because the evaluation time limit was reached".

Unfortunately, the error message does not indicate what particular product enforced that constraint or how to overcome it. Perhaps someone who has a subscription to WolframAlphaPro could sign in before trying this and determine whether the time constraint that will be removed with a Pro subscription, or even a trial.

Signing into the cloud for free use before trying the query did not change the result.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge or access can track down what is really required to overcome that time limit for this specific query so that the person can get the information.

POSTED BY: Bill Simpson
Posted 7 years ago

This does not give me the percentage values which I will need to generate the heatmap. I am not having trouble finding a list of the language names (this I can find anywhere), I cannot get the values I need.

Hi, Go to the free Wolfram cloud session and type:

CountryData["PapuaNewGuinea", "Languages"]

Then the output will be formatted with reduced output. Go to the end of the list and click "More". You'll see all entries.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract