Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[SOLVED] Show the Mathematica menu line in the slideshow environment?

Posted 7 years ago

While attempting to understand styles and stylesheet editing for slideshows I have managed to generate a stylesheet that prevents the Mathematica menu line from showing up when in the slideshow environment. ! as shown in this picture][1]

The menus are there in the working environment. This isn't a pressing problem to me but I would like to understand what happened and how to fix it in case this occurs again. Can anyone explain what caused this? The file containing the problem is attached.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is on a Windows10 machine and I notice that the picture didn't get attached. But if you run the file you will get the picture.

SOLVED: It may be bad form to answer ones own question but I finally found the offending option and thought this might be of some use to others. The problem was in the TaggingRules option, in particular in the SlideShowSettings portion of that option. Eliminating the SlideShowSettings with

SetOptions[xx[[3]], TaggingRules -> {"SlideShow" -> True}]

where xx[[3]] refers to the offending Notebook recovered my menus. I still don't know how this problem occurred but now know what to look for if it happen again. Many thanks to Neil Singer whose reply provided the key to solving this.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Mike Luntz
2 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

Neil, Thanks for looking into this. I see from the Option information you posted that you are using a Mac. This problem only occurs on a Windows machine for which the menu strip is integral to the notebook rather than menus at the top of the screen. In case you or anyone else has any additional ideas I will again attempt to post the picture of the problem along with a picture of another file without the problem.

Mike

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I looked into the PrivateStylesheetFormatting notebook and found that it is a system wide file that is installed with Mathematica. It has not been modified since installation.

with the problem

how it should look

POSTED BY: Mike Luntz

Mike,

You can see what options are selected for a Notebook by getting a handle to the Notebook and running the Options] command. See my post answering a nearly identical [Question. By doing `Options[Notebooks[][1]] (Assuming that your Notebook is the first one in the list) I get:

{FrontEndVersion -> 
  "11.0 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit, 64-bit Kernel) (September 21, \
2016)", ScreenStyleEnvironment -> "Working", 
 StyleDefinitions -> 
  Notebook[{Cell[
     StyleData[
      StyleDefinitions -> 
       FrontEnd`FileName[{"SlideShow"}, "Water.nb", 
        CharacterEncoding -> "UTF-8"]]], 
    Cell[StyleData["Title", "SlideShow"], FontFamily -> "Helvetica", 
     FontSize -> 68, FontWeight -> "Bold", FontSlant -> "Plain", 
     FontVariations -> {"StrikeThrough" -> False, 
       "Underline" -> False}], 
    Cell[StyleData["Section", "SlideShow"], FontFamily -> "Helvetica",
      FontSize -> 44, FontWeight -> "Bold", FontSlant -> "Plain", 
       "Underline" -> False}], 
    Cell[StyleData["Subsection", "SlideShow"], 
     FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 38, FontWeight -> "Bold", 
     FontSlant -> "Plain", 
       "Underline" -> False}], 
    Cell[StyleData["Subsubsection", "SlideShow"], 
     FontFamily -> "Helvetica", FontSize -> 28, FontWeight -> "Bold", 
     FontSlant -> "Plain", 
       "Underline" -> False}]}, Visible -> False, 
   FrontEndVersion -> 
    "11.0 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit, 64-bit Kernel) (September 21, \
2016)", StyleDefinitions -> "PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb"], 
 TaggingRules -> {"SlideShow" -> True, 
   "SlideshowSettings" -> {"WindowElements" -> {"MagnificationPopUp", 
       "HorizontalScrollBar", "StatusArea", "VerticalScrollBar"}}}, 
 WindowMargins -> {{245, Automatic}, {Automatic, 22}}, 
 WindowSize -> {1280, 960}}

When I open your notebook, I do not see a problem (or at least I am not understanding what problem you are observing because your image did not get posted) so I am guessing that the problem is in a stylesheet that I do not have. I see that you rely on a stylesheet called PrivateStylesheetFormatting.nb. Your problem may be in there. You should be able to isolate the problematic option by doing the sequence detailed in the other post referenced above. If the problem really is in this notebook, you should go through the options listed above and narrow down which one is unwanted.

Regards

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract