Message Boards Message Boards

Classifier for Human Motions with data from an accelerometer

Posted 7 years ago
POSTED BY: Pablo Ruales
6 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

Very nice work! But is it possible to post the complete code? I am not quite sure how training was done? Was this Classify, Predict or NetTrain? Without complete code is hard to comprehend the details.

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie
Posted 7 years ago

Hello Frederick, thank you for your interest. The data I gathered was all by holding the Raspberry Pi and Arduino with my hand at chest level. The Raspberry Pi runs Mathematica and reads the data from the Arduino, since Mathematica can handle data easily, you can program it to upload to DataDrop or you could save it in a file, and later on extract the files to work on your computer. Since both the raspberry pi and the arduino are small devices they could be held by a chest band (or something like the bands that hold your phone securely attached to your arm while you go running). It can be placed anywhere on the body. I chose to place it at chest level because the data would be more universal, meaning that there would be less noise on the data due the particular way a person moves.

(In order to transfer the data and control the devices from my computer I used PuTTY to connect wirelessly to the Raspberry Pi. Also, I needed a WiFi dongle for the Raspberry)

The classify function just tells you what motion the data is showing, that is its main goal. But besides classifying the data into motion categories, the data could also be processed to estimate the energy consumed for each motion based on the intensity and frequency.

If you are interested in replicating the experiment I would be happy to send you the data I gathered, and all the specifications of the devices I used. I encourage you to get more data though, this would make the classify function more precise.

I am open to any suggestions, and if you are interested in making the image processing part of this project work, I think that would make a very interesting product. It could be a program that analyzes movement (energy consumption, velocity) and categorizes it. I can also send some of the code that I started to extract information from the images. Tell me if you are interested in this, we could keep discussing this matter as an addition to the main project.

Lastly, please do tell if you want me to explain something specific about the project. Unfortunately it is not very easy sharing all the data and visualizations through the community but I will try my best. I can also send you the classify function.

Pablo

Posted 7 years ago

Hi Pablo,

I am interesting in your project, please explain more details. How you attach and test the accelerometer on human, at one position or at different positions like twist, arm, knee or ankle etc. ? Did you use some wireless device for data transfer from Arduino or Raspberry Pi?

Another suggestion for application, with a good classifed data of human motion, Are you plan to do a better calculation for energy consume in every day? That might be helpful for body fit or weight co

POSTED BY: Frederick Wu

enter image description here - you have earned "Featured Contributor" badge, congratulations !

This is a great post and it has been selected for the curated Staff Picks group. Your profile is now distinguished by a "Featured Contributor" badge and displayed on the "Featured Contributor" board.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Posted 6 years ago

Hey Pablo , I'm working on a pretty much similar project to the one that you have done. I'm working on fall detector using the Raspberry Pi and an Hexiwear watch which I used to get the accelerometer values for that I connected the Hexiwear to the Raspberry Pi following this Bluetooth pairing tutorial[1].So far I created 2 data files to save the accelerometer values one for ( Fall mixed data; fall backward , falling forward , falling to the right /the left ) and the other file with (ADL ).So the next step I guess is to create a classifier (That's why i'm here) I know that is very hard to that with Matlab since there is no Matlab runtime on the raspberry pi (Different architecture issues).I would like to ask you how did you manage your dada in the Mathemtica classifier and is it is easy after to export the classifier to your Raspberry pi ? Thank you

POSTED BY: riadh said
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract