Message Boards Message Boards

Avoid notebook evaluation running for days?

Posted 7 years ago

I have some kind of Programming Lab (11.0.1 on Win10) - Notebook, which does exhaustiv calculations (FindClusters from 14 millions of data in my case). It should finish after 20 or 30 minutes or the like.

But indeed, it does never finish, not even after days, if other processes are running on my PC: Edge, IE, Firefox, Excel, Word, or the like. The WL-Desktop just seems to do nothing after some time. Which can be observed within taskmanager. If I start the notebook from a freshly started Win10 with nothing else running, it terminates within reasonable time as expected.

Quite weired. How can a Wolfram-Language-application influence the operation systems task management?

POSTED BY: Werner Geiger
2 Replies

Maybe you do not have enough RAM? You could attach your notebook and put the large data somewhere to download and others could try.

POSTED BY: Rolf Mertig
Posted 7 years ago

Hmm. I have a pretty capable Lenovo ThinkPad W530-Laptop with an INTEL i7-3840QM processor and 16GB RAM, running Win10 Pro (64b). Alls of the system and Wolfram-SW is on current versions.

But anyway, if WL ran out of memory it should tell that and stop. But not just do nothing or try for ever.

Downloading the program for others to try it, would not be feasible. It is pretty large and not a question of some lines.

I just wanted to know if others have similar problems.

POSTED BY: Werner Geiger
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract