Message Boards Message Boards

Avoid error in Suggestions bar (Mathematica 11.1)?

Posted 7 years ago

I have just updated Mathematica to version 11.1 (Windows 10 Home 64-bit) and the suggestions bar is not working properly. I receive this error message when I use one of the options of one arrow of the suggestions bar: Error using the suggestions bar

INTERNAL SELF-TEST ERROR: EventTracker|c|521
Click here to find out if this problem is known, and to help improve
the Wolfram System by reporting it to Wolfram Research.

The error happens after installing the software and running it, with the default configurations.

Does anyone know what is the problem?

POSTED BY: Rodrigo Sambade
15 Replies

Same problem for me with 11.1 on windows 7. In addition to that it crasches frequently, especially when I work with files from Mathematica 10.

That immediate release can't come too soon! Two more time-consuming crashes (after warnings) at work this morning. I'm sorry to say it, but it is surprising and disturbing that a bug affecting so much of the interactive interface (at least with Windows 7 and 10) slipped through the cracks and into a release version.

POSTED BY: Doug Langbehn

It's known as a known issue and Wolfram teams are working on it.

The warnings are frequently followed by crashes. I have already started posting details to Wolfram support

I'm having all sorts of similar crashes with 11.1.0 on a Windows 7 system. I'm afraid this is by far the most unstable version of the program that I've ever used, and I've been using Mathematica since the late 1990s. I've been excited about the new features in 11.1, but I sure hope they can fix this stability problem quickly. I'm afraid that, for now, I'm going to have to co-install the previous version for any mission-critical work.

The original issue here is a FE warning, not a crash. If you're experiencing an application crash, please contact Wolfram support with all details on what triggered the crash on your machine.

Posted 7 years ago

In case anyone is keeping track, I have the same problem with 11.1 running on a Windows 10 system.

POSTED BY: John Stewart

I have the same issue. Just installed MM11.1 on Win10 It seems to only occur using dropdown menu's from the suggestionbar.

enter image description here

after I click the suggestionbar disappears and the screen looks like:

enter image description here

click on base b form and the error is generated.

Seems like a real bug to me. 10.1 doesn't have this problem

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Posted 7 years ago

I got the same problem. I have just installed Mathematica 11.1 in my computer C:\ drive. The OS system is latest Windows 10.

POSTED BY: Hangxi Li
Posted 7 years ago

This would seem to be a Windows OS issue. Also, Mathematica 11.0.1 running on the same PC does NOT have this issue for me.

POSTED BY: David G

No apparent issues on macOS 10.12.3 with v11.1.0.0. I tried the suggestion bar drop down on every cell that I had open over three notebooks without any errors.

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
Posted 7 years ago

I also have experienced this problem whenever trying to select any drop down item from the suggestions bar. There seems to be a serious flaw in suggestions bar interface. It is practically unusable.

I would like to add that I'm running on Win 10 OS.

POSTED BY: David G
Posted 7 years ago

I don't know the cause but I am having the same problem. I install Mathematica on the D: drive instead of the C: drive, and I wonder if that could be related, although I never had this problem with v. 11.0. Are you installing it on a different drive from the usual C: drive?

POSTED BY: Marc Widdowson

No, I installed Mathematica on the C: drive.

POSTED BY: Rodrigo Sambade
Posted 7 years ago

Thanks. It is good to know the drive can be eliminated as the issue, though it seems we are the only ones having this problem and it is not likely to be fixed.

POSTED BY: Marc Widdowson
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract