Message Boards Message Boards

SequencePredict: interesting behavior for CA rule plots

I submitted the following one-liner entry at the 2017 WTC one-liner competition, and I'd be meaning to ask this question since and kept forgetting:

s = Cases[RulePlot@CellularAutomaton[#], Inset[a_, __] -> a, ?] &;
Join[f = Take[s@99, 1], SequencePredict[s /@ Range@98][f, "NextElement" -> 7]]

enter image description here

Essentially, s is a pure function which, when given an integer, returns a list of the 8 graphics objects which visualize the rules for the elementary cellular automaton with that number. This is illustrated below:

RulePlot[CellularAutomaton[30]]
GraphicsRow[s[30], Frame -> All]

A list of these is generated for the first 98 CAs (in theory skipping 0, but oh well we had to save characters), and passed into SequencePredict which uses a Markov Model to return a SequencePredictorFunction. Here's how 5 of those sequences look like:

GraphicsGrid[s /@ Range[5]]

This is where things get interesting: given only the first rule image of the 99th CA, the predictor correctly 'guesses' the next 7 elements, returning the RulePlot for CA 99!

Looking at the image above, it's clear that the CAs were listed using some sort of loop, which is likely what the predictor picks up. However the result was odd enough (since inherently the ruleplot is not really a sequence) to trigger my curiosity and I was wondering if anyone had a clearer explanation as to what is happening allowing it to predict correctly one element at a time.

Cheers,
George

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now a Staff Pick as distinguished by a badge on your profile! Thank you, keep it coming, and consider contributing your work to the The Notebook Archive!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract