Message Boards Message Boards

Can examples for training be shown in the Neural Network repository?

Posted 6 years ago

Often I want to train the neural networks on the Neural Network Repository, but when I download the ConstructionNotebook, they almost always just say "Training: performed separately", which is useless to me. I understand that the actual training (typically on huge datasets) is not trivial, but I would really love an example of the data I need to train a network and any extra parameters I need to pass to NetTrain. The network I'm looking at at the moment is the Very Deep Net for Super-Resolution.

POSTED BY: Carl Lange
5 Replies

Hello Carl,

The datasets used to train such networks are not available on that repository, partly because of the huge data size and copyright issues. You can access some smaller datasets available at the data repository. You can also download the ImageNet yourself at their website.

As for how to train them, you can check the documentation on NetTrain. There's a section on out-of-core learning, also available as a tutorial here. If the data are images, you just pass a File dataset and Mathematica handles the rest.

Regards, Lombardo

POSTED BY: Lombardo Paredes
Posted 6 years ago

Hi Lombardo,

Thanks for your response.

I understand that the datasets and so on are very large - I'm not really looking for the exact training code, but an example of how to train this specific network (a simple example of one image -> output, for instance). Since some of the networks may use specific methods (ADAM, etc), it's important to know this if I want to train the network on my own data. So to clarify, I'm not looking for the exact training code, because I know that might be huge (or for all I know, not done in Mathematica). What I really need is a simple example invocation of NetTrain for the networks.

Cheers, Carl

What I really need is a simple example invocation of NetTrain for the networks.

That may be the way to go about this. Originally, we thought we would need to give a full training example and replicate the results of something trained in a different framework. This is way too hard.

Thanks for the suggestion, have filed it for things we will look at.

Posted 6 years ago

Glad to hear it, thank you very much!

Posted 6 years ago

And let me just say, the neural net repo is one of the most useful things I've seen in years. Well done.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract