Message Boards Message Boards

Invert colors in graphics created using the drawing palette?

I have developed severe cataracts and can no longer read or use black on any light color. I need to invert it so that it is light on black. When I convert graphics by hand I have to convert it back by hand before it can be converted to pdf for publication. I have hundreds of such graphics and converting them by hand is very cumbersome and error-prone (particularly when I cannot see the end result). Is there any good way to automate this process?

POSTED BY: George Hrabovsky
11 Replies

I have an eye disease too and prefer inverted colors also. I'd be willing to meet for an hour to solve this problem with you if we could meet on a video call and work together to solve the issue. What I'd hope for in return is that you'd post a recording of our meeting and outline of the final solution. Would this exchange be of interest to you? If so, get in contact via kylekeane.com

POSTED BY: Kyle Keane

Probably not that easy like from drawing tools. But all that advise given to you is still relevant even if you want to use drawing system in Mathematica. It creates a Graphics object that you can place inside Show to adjust properties or use image processing to process. Everything is an expression in Wolfram Language

http://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/EverythingIsAnExpression.html

even Graphics, so it can be manipulated further. For example see GIF below where I use

ColorNegate@Rasterize@object

to upgrade Danny's method. Just apply InputForm to your Graphics object to see code inside.

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

I think I understand what you are saying. Convert the picture I draw into a labeled graphics object, and then transform it using the method you suggest. I will try that. Thanks. Just FYI, I am unable to read the attached graphic as the white background washes out everything in the foreground.

I am sorry to hear about the hard image comprehension. But you understood it correctly. Also perhaps someone can watch it and tell you what happens in animation. Another thing that might be helpful to you is Dark Theme in recent versions of Mathematica:

Top Menu >> Format Stylesheet >> ReverseColor

POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov

I guess I was not too clear, I need a way to invert graphics created using the drawing system in Mathematica.

Thanks, I was hoping fo some clues as to drawn graphics.

Also PlotTheme -> "Marketing" seem to give a dark background.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

In some cases a black background changes automatically the color of the plot elements to a light color:

Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}, Background -> Black]

but you may have to check and tweak case by case.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni

I am actually looking for images using the drawing system.

I will give this a try! Thanks much!

I'm sorry to hear about the eye problems. I don't know if this is quite what you want, but you might convert to image (by Rasterize), invert the ImageData, and make an image from that.

Example:

Image[1 - ImageData[Rasterize[Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 3}]]]]

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract